Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintinologist.org /

[Closed] Why no pictures?

GSC
#1 · Posted: 11 Sep 2013 22:40
Why is it that the team behind this Forum doesn't want any pictures posted? I'm part of another Forum that lets anybody post pictures and videos freely. Why not here?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 12 Sep 2013 00:10
Because the copyright issues of "freely" posting pictures and videos which don't belong to us, and most likely don't belong to the poster, makes it contrary to our policy of endeavouring to keep this site legal and free from possibility of being shut down or pursued through the courts by people who find their material being used without permission or payment.
Not hosting video and pictures willy-nilly also keeps the bandwidth manageable and affordable for Admin (remember Irene pays for all site costs and overheads herself, and takes no contributions).
We do consider material which is contributed by the rights holder, but usually ask that it is held off-site, again to keep use of bandwidth down.
For example, I made images of a trip I made to the Hergé Museum available to the forums, by linking to the FaceBook page (you can find the link here).
advnarayan
#3 · Posted: 12 Sep 2013 02:15
jock123:
Not hosting video and pictures willy-nilly also keeps the bandwidth manageable and affordable for Admin (remember Irene pays for all site costs and overheads herself, and takes no contributions).

but not for this clarification- I would have asked this question. could the team behind tintinologist allow the posting of the picture of the member alongside each post. I truly would like to "see" the moderators, the members, the esteemed people who shares the passion of Tintin
jock123
#4 · Posted: 12 Sep 2013 07:22
advnarayan:
could the team behind tintinologist allow the posting of the picture of the member alongside each post

There is no plan to do this, no, for the reasons outlined above.
Avatar pictures eat up the bandwidth too, like any other images do.
Secondly, experience of other forums show that people rarely post pictures of themselves, making the exercise fairly pointless.
Thirdly, making sure that over three thousand member pictures did not breach copyright would be a full-time task, and not an endeavour that would have results proportionate to the effort involved.

This topic is closed.