Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Methuen Translations: R.I.P. Michael Turner

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

number1fan
#1 · Posted: 14 Jul 2009 08:03
The sad news I heard yesterday is that Michael Turner has died. Michale Turner together with Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper, had been translating the books into English for over 50 years.
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 14 Jul 2009 09:53
Ah, that is sad news. For anybody who wants to know more about Michael Turner (and Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper) there is an interview, conducted a few years ago, on this site here.
Morganson
#3 · Posted: 14 Jul 2009 10:37
...one of the un-sung heroes of Tintin.
Tintinrulz
#4 · Posted: 14 Jul 2009 12:31
R.I.P Michael Turner. We owe you a great debt.
Harrock n roll
#5 · Posted: 14 Jul 2009 19:11
I have looked for some evidence today that Michael Turner has died, but haven't found any yet.

So, can someone please corroborate number1fan's report?
jock123
#6 · Posted: 14 Jul 2009 20:45
Just to clarify matters, Mr. Turner’s son-in-law has been in touch, and the news is, sadly, true:

“Michael passed away peacefully in his sleep last Friday aged 80. There will be an announcement in the Times shortly and possibly obituaries in the Bookseller magazine and a daily newspaper.”

I’m sure we would all like to extend his family our sympathy at this time.

I enquired of the family if there was a charity or organization to which donations might be made, should anyone want to pay their respects to this pillar of the Tintinologist community, and they have suggested the Alzheimer’s Society.

The Tintin.com obituary can be found here.
Harrock n roll
#7 · Posted: 14 Jul 2009 22:16
Thanks for the clarification jock. Good to see that Tintin.com have paid tribute too, and rightfully so.
pauldurdin
Moderator Emeritus
#8 · Posted: 14 Jul 2009 23:33
RIP Mr Turner. Your work will live on forever.
cigars of the beeper
#9 · Posted: 15 Jul 2009 00:48
If it wasn't for Michael Turner (and Leslie Londsdale-Cooper) , we wouldn't have Tintin in English. (What a scary thought for those of us who know almost no French!)
jock123
#10 · Posted: 15 Jul 2009 10:02
Michael’s daughter has contacted me:

There is a notice of Michael's death in the Times today and the Daily Telegraph are running an obituary either tomorrow or Friday. They are letting me know more later today.

The Bookseller will run an obituary on Friday and BookBrunch have one today. Those are trade magazines and subscription only.

You might be able to find The Bookseller in a public library if you are not in the publishing industry. The above link to the BookBrunch site is for the headlines page: a subscription is required to read the full text.

Update:
A further note from Michael’s daughter:

Thank you for posting these things up onto the site. I know Michael would have liked that. I send my best wishes to all the members of your site, and thank them for all their kind words.

She has also provided a lovely photo of her dad, which I am forwarding to Irene, and it will hopefully be up on the site before too long. [Photo is now on the homepage.]

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!