Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

New Chinese edition Tintin translated from the original French

Morganson
#1 · Posted: 15 Jan 2010 02:59
News article: Tintin embarks on new adventure in China.

Nice to see. China's a big market and they do like their comics.
tregenza
#2 · Posted: 26 Jan 2010 08:57
In all the coverage I've seen of this, no one has mentioned Tintin in Tibet.

Have they good with the proper title or has the name been changed? A previous edition tried to call it "Tintin in Chinese Tibet" I believe.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 27 Jan 2010 01:54
tregenza:
Have they good with the proper title or has the name been changed? A previous edition tried to call it "Tintin in Chinese Tibet" I believe.

The articles states that China is "the only country [Tintin] visits twice" which presumably refers to Tibet in the second instance, but no word as to the title of the book.
Balthazar
#4 · Posted: 27 Jan 2010 12:39
Richard:
The articles states that China is "the only country [Tintin] visits twice" which presumably refers to Tibet

Yes, I spotted that statement in the article. I wonder if the journalist who wrote the article was simply lazily repeating this bit of inaccurate patriotism from the Chinese publisher's press release. Tibet is indeed counted as part of China if you look in most atlases, but it seems a bit arrogant to not even acknowledge that at the time the book was written Tibet was being brutally annexed by China, and that most Tibetans then (and now, from what I understand) don't regard Tibet as part of China.

Although Hergé doesn't use this non-political Tintin adventure to critcise or refer to the Chinese invasion and occupation, he does seem highly sympathetic towards the Tibetans' monastic culture - a culture that the Chinese army was doing it's best to wipe out at the time the book was written.

Even if you do count Tibet as part of China, China isn't, of course, the only country that Tintin visits twice. Apart from the fictional countries he visits twice (Syldavia, Borduria, San Theodoros), there's India, which he visits in Cigars of the Pharaoh and in Tintin in Tibet, en route to Nepal. And there's France, which he visits in The Calculus Affair and (as you pointed out in a recent thread on this forum, Tregenza) is the location of the flying boat port in the French original of King Ottokar's Sceptre.

Regarding the question of the book's title in the new Chinese translation, a quick Google search throws up a lot of references to the fact that the Hergé Foundation intervened back in 2001 to prevent the Chinese publishers getting away with changing the title to Tintin in China's Tibet. So presumably the Hergé Foundation or Moulinsart or Hergé's widow have been similarly on the ball this time about making sure the title is correct. You'd hope so, anyway.
sponsz
#5 · Posted: 9 Feb 2010 10:09
The new Chinese edition Tintin books translated by Wang Bingdong are available from:
-www.mandarinbooks.cn
-Soon by www.mingyabooks.com
And of course on Ebay
tintinophile691
#6 · Posted: 19 Apr 2010 06:59
As far as I know, when I bought a BUNCH of Tintins at Guangzhou Book Centre, some of them seem to be based on the French version, and others on the English. The plates used? Similar case!

But sometimes the French plates have its text translation based on the English edition and sometimes the books using English plates had its translation of text based on the French edition. Strange, isn't it?

Also note that the Chinese version of Tintin in America is set in 1937 and not 1931.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!