Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Michael Farr book signing 20th February

robbo
#1 · Posted: 17 Feb 2010 20:57
Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere, but I couldn't find any reference save on The Tintin Shop site.

I was in the shop today and noticed they are having a book signing for The Art of Herge Vol2 this coming Saturday.

I can't actually make it, but I bought a copy to be signed. It really is a beautiful looking book and one well worth owning.

regards,

Mat
number1fan
#2 · Posted: 19 Feb 2010 08:38
Philippe Goddin gets annoyed with these book signings seen as Michael Farr translates this book doesn't write it.So if you want it signed by the author get in contact with Philippe Goddin give him the credit.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 19 Feb 2010 09:38
number1fan:
Philippe Goddin gets annoyed with these book signings seen as Michael Farr translates this book doesn't write it.

That seems a pretty odd attitude to take to me - for a start, there’s nothing that says the author of a work can be the only one to sign it, and secondly, if it drives up sales what has he got to complain about? It’s an autograph, so if that’s what you want, get it on anything you want, that’s my take on it. Michael Farr has contributed to the volume, why not have him sign it? If the book designer was there, or the printer, or anyone else of note, what’s wrong with getting their signature too? They all might have contributed.
number1fan:
So if you want it signed by the author get in contact with Philippe Goddin give him the credit.

To be honest, these books are more important as a way of accessing Hergé’s art, so isn’t he as guilty of taking credit for a book which will sell because of the pictures, not the words? On that basis, would M. Goddin be against Hergé signing it if he were still alive?

I was delighted to have Michael Turner and Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper sign my Black Island at Greenwich, and M. Goddin would have a pointless time trying to tell me that they shouldn’t have.
robbo
#4 · Posted: 19 Feb 2010 15:24
number1fan:
Philippe Goddin gets annoyed with these book signings seen as Michael Farr translates this book doesn't write it.So if you want it signed by the author get in contact with Philippe Goddin give him the credit.

Hi number1fan,

I had no idea Philippe Goddin got annoyed with Michael Farr's signings of his translations of the Chronologie d'une Oeuvre volumes. I agree that Goddin should be given full credit for writing and researching the Chronologies; I didn't look closely at the book to find out.

Having said that I think a lot of english speaking Tintin fans on this Forum (who don't read french) were pushing for such edited translations, and I for one am grateful they have been published. I don't think it is a big deal Michael Farr signing a book he has translated.

I have actually also ordered Chronologie Tome 6 from The Tintin Shop, which will take 2-3 weeks to arrive - I can't wait to get my hands on it :) !

regards,
mat

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!