Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Rare Tintin drawings feature on BBC News

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

number1fan
#1 · Posted: 2 Mar 2010 06:53
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8544656.stm

Intresting but do the need to talk about the accusations of racism. It's not like he was Bernard Manning.
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 2 Mar 2010 09:51
number1fan:
Intresting but do the need to talk about the accusations of racism. It's not like he was Bernard Manning.

I'm afraid you're going to have to get used to it. Most of these short 'news items' are usually pre-written and regurgitated so they trot out the same old line about something or somebody. But it is certainly true to say that Hergé has been accused of racism and anti-semitism, however you may feel about it.

The report was quite inaccurate anyway since it said that "in the 1930s accusations of racism and anti-semitism dogged the cartoonist" when really the accusations came a bit later and have never really gone away. And they called the Hergé Museum the Tintin Museum, a bit lazy that.

Regarding the report: are the Foundation really trying to acquire Hergé's 'lost' sketches and artwork back? Seems to me like there have always been auctions for Hergé artwork and they've never seemed bothered about buying them.
number1fan
#3 · Posted: 2 Mar 2010 12:37
I hate the positive item then taking a negative down trip.Next time there's an item on the news about Nelson Mandela I hope they talk about the person who organised the murder of lots of white farmers. What do the BBC gain for keep going on and about it in every new item they have.Moving away from that im glad now Herge finally has the recognition of truly one of the greatest if not thee greatest artists of the 20th Century.
mondrian
#4 · Posted: 2 Mar 2010 14:14
number1fan, that's a serious accusation on Mandela. Where's the proof of that?
jock123
#5 · Posted: 2 Mar 2010 16:31
mondrian:
That's a serious accusation on Mandela. Where's the proof of that?

I believe that number1fan is refering to Nelson Mandela's activities with Umkhonto we Sizwe (also known as MK), the armed wing of the ANC, and admissions he has made (in A Long Walk to Freedom for example) to having authorized actions such as the Church Street bombing in 1983 (in which more than 200 people were injured, and a further 19 died), when a car bomb exploded during rush hour.
Because of this association with the MK, Mr. Mandela was on a list of known terrorists which barred him from entering the U.S. without applying for special dispentation as late as 2008.
However, this thread isn't the place to get bogged down in the rights and wrongs of the struggle against apartheid, so I think it is best focus on the BBC coverage of Hergé directly.
number1fan
#6 · Posted: 2 Mar 2010 17:25
Yea I just made a small point didn't wana strike up a conversation about it just annoying how when ever there is media coverage of Tintin always ends in the whole racial and non existent anti Semitism.Hopefully there will be a catalogue available to buy or at least an exhibit on-line where we can see these rare pictures.
robbo
#7 · Posted: 2 Mar 2010 22:55
I totally agree with number1fan, I just watched the clip followed by one on the Tintin museum and exactly the same sentences were tripped out. It is a shockingly lazy way for the BBC to perpetuate a small aspect of Herge's life when what is important are the unique transcendental qualities of Tintin books which gain millions of new readers every year.

regards,

mat
mct16
#8 · Posted: 3 Mar 2010 00:33
The only original point of interest that I can see in this report is about 15 seconds into it when we are shown a whole colour drawing with Calculus, Tintin, Snowy, Haddock and the Thompsons in a rowing boat called Tintin in a stormy sea with a lighthouse displaying the number 7 in the background.

Haddock appears to be saying to the Thompsons (in French): "Don't you worry, sailors! There's no danger. Leblanc is steering!"

All that I can think of is that this is a reference to Raymond Leblanc who founded Tintin magazine some time after the war. This might be an indication to a bad period that the magazine was going through, but can anyone come up with any specific events in this context?
number1fan
#9 · Posted: 3 Mar 2010 09:23
Shame there wasn't a whole half an hour dedicated to it or a longer news segment.Someone at the BBC likes Tintin because there have been several stories in the last year on BBC News.
robbo:
It is a shockingly lazy way for the BBC to perpetuate a small aspect of Herge's life when what is important are the unique transcendental qualities of Tintin books which gain millions of new readers every year

I agree with robbo this is small portion of hes life blown up far to much.Would be like every time Chelsea playing a match and every time John Terry gets a touch of the ball and they say "Oh hes cheated on hes wife" No they will say about how is such a great footballer.Not a Chelsea fan by the way :@
luinivierge2010
#10 · Posted: 3 Mar 2010 09:50

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!