Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Article on Moulinsart in Financial Times

Tournesol
#1 · Posted: 8 May 2010 09:02
An interesting and well-researched article by Stanley Pignal in the 07/05/2010 Financial Times:

Fans of Tintin cry foul
Grey
#2 · Posted: 8 May 2010 11:13
I found this article very intriguing and note-worthy for any Tintin fan who never knew about the issues going on in Moulinsart. I never heard about any of this until now, and it's staggering to see how much of a battle there is because of this Rodwell and the merchandising.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 8 May 2010 11:29
Thanks for pointing this out, Tournesol - as you say, an interesting article.
I think that his prediction that the movie-makers might somehow press the powers that be into the production of new books is perhaps a little far-fetched: there are 24 titles to be exploited, and no sign that the films have to be directly based on the stories faithfully, so I think that there is quite a way to go before the well runs dry on that ground. It's not impossible, just a little unlikely.
Of course it might be that it is a useful get-out clause for the Fondation/ Studio if they do wish to reconsider their policy (“We wouldn’t want it of course, but Hollywood, well they insisted…”), but I think it is a way down the line.

I also think that the piece may over-emphasize Hergé’s acceptance of fan-work in his lifetime; my instinct is that he perhaps tolerated it, or accepted that it would happen, given that children sent their pictures to the journal, but didn’t actually like it, given how protective he was of his work, and his insistence upon being the sole artist for Tintin, even when assistants drew other characters.

As I understand it, he would be encouraging in as far as complimenting on effort or success of story-telling, but always said that the artist would be better served by creating their own characters and stories, rather than using his.

Still, I think it is as you say a generally balanced approach, and looks objectively at Moulinsart, rather than some of the more polemic pieces recently (from both sides).
mct16
#4 · Posted: 8 May 2010 16:14
A very interesting article. I'm surprised that Benoît Peeters is on Nick Rodwell's "blacklist". I always thought that as one of the leading Tintinologists he would have got on well with the company.

See here for more on the Bob Garcia issue which is mentioned in the article.
mondrian
#5 · Posted: 8 May 2010 16:55
mct16:
I'm surprised that Benoît Peeters is on Nick Rodwell's "blacklist". I always thought that as one of the leading Tintinologists he would have got on well with the company.

Benoît Peeters doesn't have access to Moulinsart archives. He's done great job nevertheless, but relying only on public sources. The Moulinsart approved researchers have to toe the line. So we're still waiting for "the" Hergé biography and "the" review of his work.

Good article by the way, thanks Tournesol!
jock123
#6 · Posted: 8 May 2010 17:28
mondrian:
Benoît Peeters doesn't have access to Moulinsart archives. He's done great job nevertheless, but relying only on public sources.

He did start out in the "good books", as it were, but probably in the pre-Moulinsart days. Casterman published his indispensable Le Monde d’Hergé in the early Eighties, and it is based on copious research and access to the archives, and it still remains one of my favourite books about the art of Hergé.

I think there was a falling out at some stage, and at that point he went in his own direction.
Rexmilou
#7 · Posted: 8 May 2010 20:01
Talking to Nick at the Tintin Festival last year, he said the only issue with Casterman was to do with their distribution practices - there was no rift.
I recall that Benoit Peeters was there - I never got the impression from talking to both Mark and Nick Rodwell that they were the kind of individuals not to 'blacklist' anyone - actually I had the opposite sense that they are enthusiastic and energetic promoters of all things and all persons Tintin-proud. I had no difficulty talking to them and was impressed with their wanting to encourage everyone and really good at PR.
I loved the Herge museum - with all the children's interactive material there (including the enormous number of schoolchildren!), I found that true to Tintin the museum was appealing to all ages, and as for the shop material - I collect Tintin collectibles precisely because they are collectibles and such good quality. And Jane at the Tintin shop in London is a good salesperson!
With Nick I think it is credit where it is due - I get the impression he works hard for Tintin. And seeing Fanny at events - what more can you ask for than Herge's partner still promoting her late husband's work. The FT article was not writing what I witness - if they took the trouble to speak to Michael Farr, I sense the article may have been more accurate.
blueskirt
#8 · Posted: 8 May 2010 20:07
It could have slipped a word or two about Nick's control of Tintin's presence on the internet, but overall it was a great article, balanced and informative.
mct16
#9 · Posted: 8 May 2010 21:37
Rexmilou:
I never got the impression from talking to both Mark and Nick Rodwell that they were the kind of individuals not to 'blacklist' anyone - actually I had the opposite sense that they are enthusiastic and energetic promoters of all things and all persons Tintin-proud. I had no difficulty talking to them and was impressed with their wanting to encourage everyone and really good at PR.

There are people out there who make excellent salesmen and promoters and have silver tongues that can talk you into anything. However they also tend to get a bit too big for their boots and use them to crush you when they do not get their own way. Politicians are typical examples: they talk you into electing them, use their power for their own interests and try to hold on to it for as long as possible. Such an example is Max Mosley, former President of the FIA, who was great at promoting F1 motor racing, but power tended to go to his head and he had to go when he became more of an embarrassment than a help (the News of the World affair being just one of many issues involved).

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!