Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin on "The Experts" YouTube game show

btmeacham
#1 · Posted: 7 Aug 2013 13:34
A few months ago, I taped an episode of the YouTube game show "The Experts" (you'd be excused if you haven't heard of it), in which self-proclaimed "experts" in obscure (or at least very specific) fields are pitted against one another. I competed as the Tintin expert, up against experts in Superman movies and the band KISS.

I apologize in advance to those who will be yelling out the correct answers in front of your computer screens at home; I did the best I could and had a good time. The other contestants had never even heard of Tintin, so they weren't able to judge the quality of the questions, but I know I missed some easy ones.
Enjoy the show!
jock123
#2 · Posted: 7 Aug 2013 18:15
Hi Brian!
Thanks for sharing this!
I've watched the first couple of rounds and you appear to be doing okay - I didn't get the Ridgewell question either...
I'm also surprisingly/ worryingly doing much better on Superman movie trivia, where, wthout any revision, I'm neck-and-neck with your competitor at this point in the game on his questions!
Johnny O
#3 · Posted: 7 Aug 2013 22:09
Well done! I had not heard of this quiz before but really enjoyed seeing it. You did a great job on some very tricky questions. Impressed :)
jock123
#4 · Posted: 8 Aug 2013 23:04
Thanks, Brian! As I said, I don't know if I should be proud or worried at the stuff I know (I've even got a couple of the KISS questions, and apart from the song in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure I don't know them or their music at all - although, perhaps weirdly, I did once have a cartoon published in a KISS fanzine...).
So, what was it like to do the show? I'm not imagining that it is a big operation, but where does it tape, how long did it take, etc.?
rodney
#5 · Posted: 9 Aug 2013 01:02
I think the guy who answered the KISS questions was hilarious! His eyes!! Haha

That hard question at the end was very difficult to answer being: Name the ships Tintin has traveled in through his adventures

Funnily enough he got this question wrong: Name the Tintin cover where he's shown with a weapon? (Flight 714)

He should have reviewed our trivia section!!
btmeacham
#6 · Posted: 9 Aug 2013 03:30
Thanks, everyone. It was a lot of fun to do. It was shot nearly in real-time, and didn't take a whole lot longer to tape than it does to watch.

The shoot took place in front of a green screen in a studio space in Culver City, California. The atmosphere was very low-key and relaxed, and each of us was impressed by the others' specialized skills. The show is put together by five or so staff, running the scoreboard, asking the questions, recording the sound, and so on.

I encourage everyone to watch some of the other episodes - the skill sets they put against each other can be pretty amazing.
rodney
#7 · Posted: 9 Aug 2013 04:03
btmeacham:
competed as the Tintin expert

Oh sorry, didn't read your first post properly!
Well done for your effort!

Was the Asian guy drinking a beer in the show?
I saw him take a sip from a bottle which looked like a beer?

Did you do a lot of prep prior to the show?
I was surprised about some of their questions, it shows they definitely did some heavy research in their question selections!
btmeacham
#8 · Posted: 10 Aug 2013 02:10
That wasn't a beer - but it could have been. They had plenty on hand and encouraged us to drink them, but I thought I'd concentrate better if I took a Tintin-esque attitude toward the alcohol.

I've been reading the books a lot lately because my three year-old is obsessed with them (you can see her name most of them here), so I had re-familiarized myself with the stories that way. I read a little of Benoit Peeters' book and Michael Farr's Companion, as well, but I'm not sure how helpful that was. I was impressed by the questions, too. Michael Shure, who hosts the show, researched and wrote them, and hadn't known who Tintin was beforehand - I thought he did a great job coming up with good questions.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!