Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Tintin news and events /

Talk: Benoît Peeters - "Hergé and the Creation of Tintin", 15/10/2018, Lancaster U.K.

jock123
#1 · Posted: 20 Sep 2018 17:19
Just found out about an event next month - Benoît Peeters, biographer of Hergé and scholar of all things Tintin-related is to give a talk entitled Hergé and the Creation of Tintin, held under the auspices of Lancaster University (where M. Peeters is currently their first Professor of Graphic Fiction and Comic Art).

The talk takes place at The Storey, Meeting House Lane, Lancaster LA1 1TH, on Monday the 15th of October, 2018, from 19:30 – 20:30, followed by a drinks reception. It is free to attend, but tickets need to be reserved using this link.

I'm sure that this will be a fascinating talk, and well worth attending if you can make it.

Professor Peeter's book Le Monde d'Hergé was my first "behind the scenes" look at the works of Hergé, and still remains a "go to" source for all manner of information on the Tintin books; equally, his biography Hergé - Son of Tintin is probably the best of the available books on that subject.
number1fan
#2 · Posted: 28 Sep 2018 22:01
Is there a chance this talk will be recorded?.
idirosyncratic
#3 · Posted: 16 Oct 2018 11:57
Hello all!

After attending the Tintin Conference held by Leeds Beckett University in June, I didn't expect to attend another academic event related to Tintin back up north so soon!

This time I was at the above stated public lecture, Hergé and the creation of Tintin by Benoît Peeters for Lancaster University's arts department. It was held in a lovely restored building named The Storey, just down the road from Lancaster station. As it was a public lecture, it meant anyone (including non student me) could attend as long as they booked a place on EventBrite. Unfortunately it wasn't live streamed or recorded for the general public, to answer number1fan's question.

In the small auditorium where the lecture was being held, there was a Blackwell's bookshop stall. A selection of paperback stories were on display as well as Prof. Peeters' Herge - Son of Tintin biography and Michael Farr's Tintin - The Complete Companion. I presumed this was more for interested parties who were being introduced to Hergé and Tintin via the lecture than seasoned fans.

Prof. Peeters' lecture itself recapped Hergé's life and the creation of Tintin and was just over an hour long. It was essentially a very abridged version of his biography, albeit with no mention of Quick and Flupke or Jo, Zette and Jocko. The adaptations produced during Hergé's lifetime, bar Spielberg's 2011 film, weren't brought up either. What I did appreciate was Prof. Peeters bringing up the political context Tintin was produced in and Hergé's regrettable situation during World War II. It is very easy to gloss over that period and minimise Hergé's mistakes so he would appear innocent, as we know some authors have a tendency to do.

After the lecture ended, Prof. Peeters was kind enough to sign my biography copy (also signing the date and location!) and we had a small pleasant chat after. I did ask his opinion on Captain Haddock's nationality out of curiosity and having enquired Michael Farr earlier this year. His response was the Captain can be interpreted as British for his mannerisms and whisky fondness, though did not necessarily state that was his interpretation.

Overall, whilst it went over old ground for me, the lecture was a nice introduction for university students to Hergé and The Adventures of Tintin. Hopefully Prof. Peeters will do more public lectures about Hergé and Tintin in the future.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 18 Oct 2018 14:32
Thanks - that's a great synopsis, and it sounds like you had a lot of fun! :-)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!