Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Does the word Tintin mean anything in your language?

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

SingingGandalf
#11 · Posted: 7 Apr 2006 10:59
There is a place in somerset, England called Tintinhull!
marsbar
#12 · Posted: 7 Apr 2006 12:08
Yep! Our Sweden Correspondent (Anders Karlsson) visited Tintinhull one year. :-)
tintinspartan
#13 · Posted: 15 Mar 2008 18:29
Tintin in my native lanquage.

In Malay Lanquage, we refer it as a name for cats. In fact, alot of malay famillies name their cats 'Tintin'.

I have heard that in philipenes, there are females by the name of Tintin. There are alot of people in Philipenes that like Tintin.
tintinagalog
#14 · Posted: 17 Mar 2008 12:02
tintinspartan
I have heard that in philipenes, there are females by the name of Tintin. There are alot of people in Philipenes that like Tintin.

Indeed! Filipino girls whose christened name is either "Christine," "Cristine," "Kristine," "Kristina," or "Cristina" usually has Tintin as the nickname. I haven't discover any males of the Philippines whose name is Tintin... maybe on my future son someday.

Tintin means boys penis in Japanese.

Not only in Japanese, my friend. Even here in the Philippines. The Visayans, to be precise. they call the male sensitive part as "tintin," too. So...I assume that the Dreamworks' promoters will be having their hard time explaining (or defending, perhaps) Tintin's name and his movie title to 'some of my narrow-minded fellas'.
Triskeliae
#15 · Posted: 18 Mar 2008 16:44
I've read somewhere that, for the French, "Tintin" is like the sound of the clanging of cups when a toast is made.

To me, it is like the sound of a small bell.

Sometimes, we (in Puerto Rico) might use these syllables to sound out a tune, like tin tin tin...
cigars of the beeper
#16 · Posted: 18 Mar 2008 20:19
I know someone who is Chinese (also a Tintin fan!) and I asked him what Tintin meant in Chinese, and he told me that in Chinese it could mean almost anything.
Dupondt
#17 · Posted: 19 Mar 2008 01:29
I looked up my Irish dictionary just to make sure but alas there's no word, the closest is thintean, pronounced "hin-tawn" meaning fireplace.
youtin
#18 · Posted: 19 Apr 2008 18:15
My native Spaniard teacher, when I told him to call me "Tintin", said that in Spanish it meant something like the sound of clanging tableware.

And as was mentioned before, for Japanese people who can't pronounce "TI" but instead say "CHI", it means "penis". This got me into some embarrassing situations in Japan :( But not all Japanese people have difficulty saying it. I've been told by some that Tintin is a cute name!
WaterCloset
#19 · Posted: 23 Dec 2011 20:10
In my mom's dialect (Bisaya) it means small penis (otin for regular size).
tuhatkauno
#20 · Posted: 24 Dec 2011 12:50
"Tintin" is a singular genitive case of the word "tintti".
"Tintti" is a name of a group of birds, tits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit_%28bird%29
And of course the language is Finnish in my case.

"Tintin" means in English "tit's" or "of a tit".

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!