Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Thompson and Thomson, Detectives: Their own (lost) adventure

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

midnightblueowl
#1 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 15:07
Has anyone heard of this story? I believe it was called Thompson and Thomson, Detectives and was about a kidnapping case.
This is all I have been able to find about it:
In the gap between Red Rackham's Treasure and The Seven Crystal Balls - that is, from September the 24th to November the 12th 1943 - Le Soir published a story about the Thom(p)sons in 40 daily episodes, not as a comic. It was written by Paul Kinnet and drawn by Hergé.

Does anyone know anything else?
chevet
Belgium Correspondent
#2 · Posted: 26 Mar 2006 17:14
Dupont et Dupond, detectives is available in the Rombaldi collection, volume 6, but this is the only "official" edition of this story.
It contains 40 strips, of three panels each - two panels of text, with a one panel Hergé illustration in the middle.
It is the story of a murder on the farm of a friend of the Dupondts, where they are supposed to be taking a holiday after Red Rackham's Treasure (the first illustration of the prose story is actually the same as frame 6 on page 57 of that book).
jock123
#3 · Posted: 27 Mar 2006 16:11
Chevet, thanks for the summary! Didn't know about this.
mct16
#4 · Posted: 5 Sep 2007 14:16
Moved from another thread

When "The Secret of the Unicorn" and "Red Rackam's Treasure" were published in "Le Soir" during the war it seems that there was a gap between the two and that a strip featuring the Thompsons as the stars was published instead.

Does anyone have any details of this: publication dates, the plot, how they handled the case as compared to when they were with Tintin etc.?
Moderator Note: Just a quick reminder that it's a good idea to try a forum search before you post a new topic, as many subjects have been discussed before, and the information you might want could already be available.
The Informative Tintinologist Team
Balthazar
#5 · Posted: 5 Sep 2007 14:34
I never knew about these stories until I read your post, mct16, so thanks for raising the topic. I've just Googled the words "Dupond Dupont Le Soir" and found that they were prose stories, rather than comic strips, written by someone else and illustrated by Hergé.
I'll keep looking when I've got more time, but maybe someone else on this forum already knows all about these stories?
advnarayan
#6 · Posted: 10 Apr 2014 15:42
I dont know whether this is an "earlier work" or a "later work"....but it would be a minor work by Herge. If my information is correct there was a standalone adventure of Thomson & Thompson. could anyone give more details of the same- like the plot, or whether its a single page adventure, whether it was completed etc.

Moderator Note: You need to do some more thorough searching - there is already a thread about this story, to which you message has been moved. The information you want is already there!

The Tidy Tintinologsit Team
mct16
#7 · Posted: 10 Apr 2014 21:35
You may be thinking of "Dupont et Dupond détectives", an adventure published in the newspaper "Le Soir" in 1943 shortly after the publication of "Red Rackham's Treasure". It was written by Paul Kinnet with illustrations by Herge. It was completed and some scans can be found online but I cannot tell if it was ever released in book form.

It was an actual text story, with text describing the action and conversations and only a single illustration of a scene, with no speech bubbles. (A bit like a "Rupert Bear" strip but without the rhymes.)

Basically, it tells of Thompson and Thomson staying with their farmer friend whom they visited towards the end of "Treasure". When the farmer disappears, they investigate and are soon on the trail of a black market ring. I don't think that either Tintin or any of the other characters get to feature.

That is the best that I can get from the entry on the French Wikipedia site. Like I say above, I do not know if it has ever been released in book form and they may not have any plans to do so. Herge may not have liked it. He often got others to write scripts for him (Greg and the "Thermozero", for instance) but then he would just come up with his own stories.

Wouldn't be a bad thing if they did publish it. It could be a good way of adding to the Tintin collection.
jock123
#8 · Posted: 11 Apr 2014 09:18
mct16:
Like I say above, I do not know if it has ever been released in book form

I think you may actually have just forgotten (happens to us all...!): see Chevet's post near the start of this thread.
luinivierge2010
#9 · Posted: 13 Apr 2014 09:13
It is now also available in one of the recent "Archives Tintin" volumes...
...to be precise: in the Red Rackham volume.
FormulaFourteen
#10 · Posted: 30 Apr 2014 02:32
Maybe I'm just not in the loop, but I'm having trouble figuring out what the Archives Tintin volumes are...?
Do you have any more info on what/where these are?
Thanks!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!