Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Dark and disturbing scene in the Tintin albums?

Page  Page 6 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  5  6  7  ...  12  13  Next » 

Chuckles_Merrily
#51 · Posted: 4 Feb 2009 11:27
Captain Haddock strangling Tintin in the Crab Claws book (is that the name of it?? I read it in french so I have no idea of the english names XD) , when they are in the plane and he really wants to pilot the plane!!
Voluma
#52 · Posted: 6 Feb 2009 18:14
I find all the dream sequences very disturbing, even the ones that are supposed to be funny. The weird colours and surreal images mean I tend to skip right over them. Tintin's nightmare about having a corcscrew stuck in his head in Crab is so unexpected and horrific, just thinking about it....

That whole story makes me uncomfortable, even though it's one of my favourites. The entire book is, in some ways, a 'woah' moment, especially the scenes that involve alcohol, and when Archie hits Tintin on the head with that bottle, or when he has that hallucination and tries to strangle Tintin... the Captain from Crab is totally unfamiliar. He doesn't even look the same as in the later books, never mind act the same. It's disturbing.

Amilah:
Also the rifle part in "Shooting Star" is brilliant. I love when baddies won't do just anything to reach their evil goal, it makes them more realistic. But it also makes their violence, what they will do, more realistic and gritty. Here they don't shoot, because it would be too big a thing, but that precisely stresses how big a thing it would have been. It wouldn't have been cartoon violence.

I love that moment so much. It would have been easy for him to shoot and miss, but the way it went, with the other guy saying 'have you gone crazy?', was so much more surprising. It's one of the only moments you're made to realise that the baddies are people too.
Karaboudjan
#53 · Posted: 27 Feb 2009 20:54
Herge was a genius storyteller. Not only could he come up with superb comedy sequences and breathtaking action, he was also responsible for scenes of unbelievable terror and/or creepiness.

What, to your mind, are the most terrifying scenes in the entire series? Are there parts you specifically avoid reading? Are they things other people wouldn't necessarily find scary but give you sleepless nights?

Mine, in no particular order, are:

* Doctor Muller's 'cure'- Although a throwaway line, I've always been horrified by the idea Muller can make you insane for life. It's even worse for not being elaborated upon- ghastly though the juice of madness (see below) is, at least we know how it's done. What exactly does he do ?????

* Madness and curses- This was a subject that clearly fascinated Herge. Whether it's the fakir shooting an arrow through your window as you sleep or the expedition members fitting in unison, it still makes me break out in a cold sweat. Characters also seem able to develop amnesia at the drop of a hat, whether it's by a clout to the head or abduction by aliens.

* Dreams and mirages- It makes you wonder what on earth the Master ate. Indeed, it's nearly impossible to find a particular one to nominate. The opium induced dream in Cigars? Castafiore turning into a savage bird in Alph-Art? Archie mistaking Tintin for a bottle of champagne? If I had dreams like those, I'd need counselling.

* Wollf's fate- Perishing in space. I can't imagine anything worse.

* The Emir- On first meeting, he appears to be your average doting dad. But the more we see of him, the more repulsive he is. The fact he knows slave trading is happening on his watch but doesn't intervene until they refuse to loop the loop for Abdullah ... Ugh. I don't know how Tintin can bear to be friends with him after that.
Tintinrulz
#54 · Posted: 27 Feb 2009 23:30
Definitely Rascar Capac in Tintin's nightmares.
Grey
#55 · Posted: 28 Feb 2009 00:54
I agree with the madness/curses, and the dreams/mirages. I find those definitely the most frightening. I simply can't read those pages because I know I'll turn away. Especially when it comes to the 90's series, in "Cigars" when Tintin goes into that dream like status. It simply sends a chill up my spine.
cigars of the beeper
#56 · Posted: 28 Feb 2009 13:30
Rascar Capac definitely.
Revercub24
#57 · Posted: 1 Mar 2009 12:38
Wolf's fate is definitely bone-chilling especially as you don't see it and he only leaves a note.

I think another scene would be the mummy figure in The Seven Crystal Balls and how it creeps into Tintin's bedroom; it's very frightening because I wonder if Tintin is dreaming or if it's real as he certainly is very disturbed while he's sleeping. If they included this in the cartoon episode I wouldn't be surprised if many children jumped behind their sofas or hid their faces in cushions.

EDIT: Oh of course, you've all mentioned that already! Sorry, silly me!
BlackIsland
#58 · Posted: 10 Mar 2009 00:52
Rascar Capac definitely. I still can see that vividly. That book is so dark but brilliant.
Amilah
#59 · Posted: 10 Mar 2009 03:31
I vote Rascar Capac, and Mitsuhirato's teeth. AND Tintin's head plugging a bottle with haddock brandishing a corkscrew. Actually Haddock's rejoiced look after he built a fire in the liveboat also used to send a chill down my spine, as a little kid. I didn't understand very well why Haddock was becoming so "evil" at times.
dreamdust
#60 · Posted: 1 Apr 2009 00:25
The most disturbing scene in the series for me is the last frame of page 11 in Tintin and the Picaros. The scene of such poverty, especially with the two little children in the foreground, is incredibly haunting. What I found especially saddening was the little girl wearing torn clothing and carrying a stick for playing with :(

Page  Page 6 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  5  6  7  ...  12  13  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!