Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

The first book in the series never to be redrawn?

cafe_noir
#1 · Posted: 27 Jun 2007 08:02
I'm aware Hergé redrew most of the the earlier B&W stories, but which was the first one in the series that was original, and not a reworked version of an older story?
I'm new to Tintin and don't have any books on the background to the series yet, so thanks for your help! :-)
Mikael Uhlin
#2 · Posted: 27 Jun 2007 09:41
The first-ever Tintin adventure, Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (1929), was never redrawn or colorized by Hergé.
The Blue Lotus (1936) and The Broken Ear (1937) were basically just edited and colorized (for Lotus, the first four pages and some additional panels in various places were redrawn).

Until 1965-66, this was also true for The Black Island (1938) as well.
As for King Ottokar's Sceptre (1939), a lot of panels were redesigned or redrawn but basically the colour version is the same as the B&W one.

I'm not sure about Cigars of the Pharaoh (1934). It was redrawn in 1955, but was there ever a colorized edition of the B&W version?

The first album to appear only in colour was The Shooting Star (1942).
jock123
#3 · Posted: 27 Jun 2007 12:12
Mikael Uhlin
The first album to appear only in colour was The Shooting Star (1942).
Am I right in thinking that there have been two colour versions of this book? Hergé was unhappy with the first colourist's work, and it was done again, but I can't say I recall if the first version was rejected before the book was published, or if the colour was replaced after an initial printing (not strictly speaking a re-drawing, but interesting, none the less...).

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!