Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

How did you get your Tintin books?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

CaptainFatstock
#21 · Posted: 18 Feb 2017 02:09
Got all of my Egmont print books separately off of Amazon. They were $16 CDN each +tax of course. I just kept buying them, not even in order. The last book I got was Destination Moon (A lot of the 2 part books I got the 2nd one first...)
BelgicatheBrave
#22 · Posted: 26 Feb 2017 04:56
My grandfather got me started on my Tintin collection. It's been a very important part of my family history. My grandfather was the editor of a Catholic newspaper here in Los Angeles for the latter half of the 20th century. He regularly received books, records, and other literature from local publishing houses, who would send them in hoping someone would review them. Since this was a Catholic paper focused on local parish events and commentary on current world affairs from a Catholic perspective, my grandfather's paper really had no use for these items. So my grandfather would sort through the books and anyone at the office could take what they wanted home for their families. One of the books my grandfather regularly received were the Adventures of Tintin. He absolutely loved them and would bring them home to my mom and her siblings to read. So my American mother had the experience of having read Destination Moon when it was published in English in 1959 and having to wait until the publisher sent the next edition to find out if Tintin, Snowy, and Captain Haddock made it to the moon. I think my grandfather loved Tintin because he felt an affinity for the character. Both of them were reporters. My grandfather had been stationed in the China-Burma-India theater of World War II as a radio operator. He loved world news and his first instinct at any sign of trouble was to grab his notepad and camera, jump in his car, and start writing. We joke that Grandpa really WAS Tintin.

Because of this, my grandfather got my sisters and me started on a Tintin collection as soon as we were born. Tintin used to be really hard to find in the United States, but there was a bookstore in our city that specialized in European children's books. For Christmas, birthdays, and first days of school, my grandfather would bring my sister and me each a new Tintin book. It was always a great treat. I used to love curling up on my grandfather's couch and reading them out loud with him. I always had so many questions for him about all the different countries Tintin visited, the cars, and the politics. They were the books I learned to read from, the first books I reached for when I could read by myself, and to this day, the only series I make a point to read once a year.

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!