Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Thomson and Thompson: What is their relationship, if any?

Page  Page 4 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

ZGDK
#31 · Posted: 9 Oct 2008 21:49
waveofplague:
dare i ask you to elaborate?

Think about it do you ever see Haddock, Tintin or the Thom[p]sons with any romantic attachments?
Calculus is the only one who ever shows any romantic feelings towards Castafiore. Therefore I have deduced that they are asexual.
Tintinrulz
#32 · Posted: 10 Oct 2008 00:50
Asexual means to change it's sex at will (like a worm or something). Tintin or any other character in Herge's world is incapable of doing such a thing.
Pretty narrow-minded if you ask me.
Balthazar
#33 · Posted: 10 Oct 2008 13:32 · Edited by: Balthazar
Tintinrulz
Asexual means to change it's sex at will (like a worm or something).
Actually, acccording to my dictionary, asexual means without sexuality, so I think ZGDK was using the word quite correctly to say what he meant about the way he sees the Tintin characters as not seeming to have sexuality as part of their psychological make up. (Asexual can also mean not having sexual organs, but it doesn't have to mean that.)

Isn't the biological thing you're thinking of, Tintinrulz, called being hermaphrodite, rather than asexual?

And, regarding worms, although some hermaphrodites can change sex at will, I think that applies to certain species of hermaphrodite fish, rather than worms. Worms (and snails) are in the category of hermaphrodites that permanently have both male and female organs at once, rather than ever actually changing sex. I think some hermaphrodites like worms might sometimes choose who's using their male organs and who's using their female organs on any given mating occasion, but they've still got both sets on hand at all times. And other hermaphrodites, like snails, often use both sets of male and female organs simultaneouly and each impregnate the other on the same occasion.

Anyway, we're a bit off topic, and I'm sure none of us are suggesting that the Thom[p]sons would get up to any of that sort of simultaneous dual-impregnation malarkey even on their wildest nights in. I was just pointing out that I think ZGDK had the right word with asexual for what he meant.
MissMartine
#34 · Posted: 17 Mar 2012 01:58
Thompson and Thomson are twins. Why would they be gay? Plus cartoon characters can't be gay! I know they are twins because Tintin says "The Thompson Twins" and they live in the same house. Plus they look alike so they are twins! Not gay.
skater95
#35 · Posted: 17 Mar 2012 05:12
Personally, I always assumed they were twins who had changed their surnames to differentiate themselves from each other. In Destination Moon, I think Snowy even calls them "The Thompson Twins" when they arrive in their Swiss costumes. Also, and I know this isn't Hergé's work, but in the Belvision cartoons, they often call each other "dear brother" so obviously others also assumed they were related.
Blistring_Barnacles
#36 · Posted: 19 Mar 2012 23:34
I personally don't think they're gay. It just doesn't seem like it to me.
They could be twins, separated at birth and adopted by families with similar last names. Twenty years later they meet at Scotland Yard...:)
guarani
#37 · Posted: 18 Apr 2012 06:28
Well, yes, In my view they are.

In fact, it is a possible and perfectly consistent interpretation of the text that Thomson and Thompson as well as Tintin and Haddock are all closeted gays. Though not a strictly exclusive possibility.

The question of wether Herge intended this to be the case is completely different. This is possible as well, but a far more complex discussion that involves his religion, societal pressures and so on.

When analyzing a work of fiction the original intent of the writer is not all that matters. The work acquires a life of its own, and any reader interpretation that is consistent with the work is a valid one.

Furthermore I think the Tintin series becomes more interesting and richer in depth when viewed from this angle.
mct16
#38 · Posted: 18 Apr 2012 13:00
guarani:
it is a possible and perfectly consistent interpretation of the text that Thomson and Thompson as well as Tintin and Haddock are all closeted gays.

Which would mean that almost half of the Belgian comic characters were gay! and personally, I don't think that Herge intended any homosexual interpretation.

The depiction of confirmed male bachelors living together under the same roof was not unusual in comics at the time. Other examples include "Blake and Mortimer" by Jacobs, "Spirou and Fantasio" by Franquin and "Tif and Tondu" by Will. I've even seen strips of Mickey Mouse and Goofy sleeping in the very same bed! Poor Minnie!

One of the reasons for this was that having the characters living together made it easier for them to hold conversations without wasting space in showing them travelling or talking on the phone in separate panels: take the scenes of Tintin journeying to Marlinspike in "Crystal Balls" or the chat he has with Haddock on the phone in "Black Gold".

Same applies to the scenes when characters are shown sharing the same bedrooms, such as when the Thompsons argue about answering the phone in "Prisoners of the Sun": much easier to have them in the same room and panels rather than separate rooms and panels which would take up space, have them shouting down a hallway and affect pace of the humour.
guarani
#39 · Posted: 18 Apr 2012 16:58
mct16:
I don't think that Herge intended any homosexual interpretation.

Perhaps not, I am frankly not sure. Note that in my comment I stated specifically that what Herge intended was besides the point in reading interpretations of the text. Figuring what he intended is very difficult, one has to ask at what level also, as we humans are very complex with our intentions. I think the text can always be analyzed as its own entity, and any consistent reading is a valid one, this is an usual approach in literary criticism. But again not the only approach, just a possible one.

I did not say that the gay interpretation is exclusive, that is, it is certainly possible to have a consistent reading of the Tintin albums where none of the characters are gay. I am just stating that it is a valid and consistent one.

You make very good points. I do think however that there is a bit of a difference between the Tintin series and some of other Belgian comics you cited. Especially given the nature of the evolution of the interaction between the characters. In the Tintin dialogue a stronger bond between some of the characters seems to be inferred, and there is a lot of circumstantial evidence that would support (though not completely prove of course) a platonic gay relationship.

The beauty of some of the best works of art is that they leave things unsaid and encourage the reader to make their own version of the story. There is a very famous short story by the Argentine writer Jorge Luis Borges called "Pierre Mennard, Author of The Quixote". In this story the main character; Pierre Mennard is stated to have re-writen an exact copy, word for word, of the Cervantes masterpiece, and in the act of doing it, to have written his own novel. In a brilliant piece of story telling Borges allows Mennard to create crazy and completely different interpretations of "The Quixote" in his exact re-writing, putting forth the absolute importance of the act of reading in the "creation" of a literary work.
rodney
#40 · Posted: 19 Apr 2012 00:56
As someone else has pointed out already, the detectives can't be gay simply because they are portrayed as sleeping in separate beds. This should solve the puzzle shouldn't it?

Another point is that during the adventures, we always see them while they are working - ie being detectives on the job. (there are some exceptions, end of Rackham for example) so this explains why they are always together, they are simply work partners and I assume have became close friends due to the amount of time spent together..

That's how I view it anyway..

Page  Page 4 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!