Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

How polite is Tintin?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

rainise
#1 · Posted: 16 Nov 2011 14:52
Well, will Tintin accept an expensive gift from someone just like that or refuse to accept it?

Will Tintin get mad at rude people? does he bare grudges?
mct16
#2 · Posted: 16 Nov 2011 15:38
I don't mean to be rude myself, but it strikes me that you've only just discovered Tintin through the film and are interested in the character and want to find out more about him.

In which case, why don't you actually buy the books and find out for yourself. Believe me, they are well worth it. Why else do you think there is a whole forum devoted to him that has been running long before Spielberg even started filming?

In answer to one of your questions:

rainise:
will Tintin accept an expensive gift from someone just like that or refuse to accept it?

In "Prisoners of the Sun", Tintin and Haddock are offered gifts of precious jewels, diamonds and gold. Tintin modestly tells their host that they cannot accept such gift - "Unless you insist of course" says Haddock.

In "Broken Ear", a businessman offers Tintin a large bribe if he provokes a war with another country. Tintin orders him away and the businessman subsequently plots to kill him.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 16 Nov 2011 21:01
mct16:
it strikes me that you've only just discovered Tintin through the film and are interested in the character and want to find out more about him.

Then they have come to the right place, don’t you think?

mct16:
In which case, why don't you actually buy the books and find out for yourself.

Now that is bordering on being rude, but from the wrong side of the border: you have to keep in mind that not everybody can afford to buy books, or have access to them.

Also nothing says that you have to have read any of the books: it seems to me perfectly acceptable to be a fan of Tintin from listening to the radio plays, seeing the stage play, or indeed watching the film. If someone comes here because they like the Axis cars or Pixi figurines, or don’t actually like the comics, but appreciate the art, or Hergé as a person, then that’s absolutely fine.

We’re a broad church here, and make no conditions upon entry that the road to Tintinological belonging is only paved with the books.

mct16:
Why else do you think there is a whole forum devoted to him that has been running long before Spielberg even started filming?

These forums exist so that we can share information and answer questions in the spirit of amicality and fraternity which Irene would ask of us. We’ve a large number of people who watched the Belvision cartoons, which were, after all in existence before a frame of Tibet was drawn, but that doesn’t make them less participants in the forums, nor does it make Tibet any less important because of mere chronology.

Let’s try and make people feel welcome here, no matter by what route they came to appreciate Tintin.
Harry Hayfield
#4 · Posted: 16 Nov 2011 21:37
I can just remember the Belvision cartoons myself (from the late 80's) but it was the 1990's cartoons that I remember (and have actually placed the complete collection on DVD on my Amazon wish list!)

On the subject of politeness, may I offer this from Red Rackham's Treasure. When "Red Rackham" comes to the door, you can tell that Tintin is visibly annoyed he denies the man's connection to Red Rackham with complete politeness.
rodney
#5 · Posted: 16 Nov 2011 22:36
Hi,

Regarding politeness I think the grand entrance of Bianca in Sceptre showed he was quite polite.
He's terrified of her singing from the get go and politely excuses himself from the car!

rainise:
Will Tintin get mad at rude people?

I think Picaros sums this up perfectly when Alcazar's beastly wife Peggy lays the law down to Tintin/Haddock on their arrival to the camp.
Without having the books on hand I can't quote her but she says something to the effect
'These your friends? OK they can stay but if they think they are in charge here they are hugely mistaken'

Tintin/Haddock's look of shock/fear/bewilderment is priceless!!
He's probably too scared to retaliate at this point!!
Bordurian Thug
#6 · Posted: 17 Nov 2011 00:08
Tintin is polite and respectful because he is essentially a Boy Scout. The only people he is uncivil to are gangsters. The rudest I can remember him being is in one of the books when he needs to use a phone box (how quaint) and there's a posh lady and her dog in there sheltering from the rain. He gives her a fierce look when she comes out.
mct16
#7 · Posted: 17 Nov 2011 00:10
Jock123
As I tried to point out, I'm not being rude, I'm simply trying to suggest that the best way to find out about a character's skills or behaviour is to read the books - or watch other materials sources if you'd rather - and find out and decide for oneself.
Harry Hayfield:
he denies the man's connection to Red Rackham with complete politeness.

Still bordering on the sarcasm , though, wasn't he?
rainise
#8 · Posted: 17 Nov 2011 00:17
mct16:
it strikes me that you've only just discovered Tintin through the film

Actually I've been a tintin fan since I was 9 :)
I didn't have enough money back then to get all the books, so I only read about 3 of 4 of them.

The film did reignite my passion for the character - I don't see any problem with "re-liking" the character and asking for other fans' opinions, after all isn't this what this forum is about?
Bordurian Thug:
The only people he is uncivil to are gangsters

Thanks! I remember the gangsters in Tintin in America, the one with the Mafia and bad people, he was offered a bribe of $200K, if I am not wrong, to stay out of their way - but he refused it :)
John Sewell
#9 · Posted: 17 Nov 2011 00:56
Tintin gets rather stroppy on page 45 of Cigars of the Pharaoh when he's locked up in the asylum ("My soup? ...That's what I think of your soup!") resulting in the upending of a bowl and the painful scalding of an innocent orderly who, after all, has no idea that Tintin's actually sane!
rodney
#10 · Posted: 17 Nov 2011 01:16
John Sewell:
Tintin gets rather stroppy on page 45 of Cigars of the Pharaoh when he's locked up

I like Snowy's comment also 'You must be joking..'
Too funny!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!