Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin costumes

tintins mom
#1 · Posted: 24 Nov 2011 05:35
There is no thread on costuming, so I'll start one.
I'm thinking of making a costume to wear to the Tintin movie. I'm thinking of going as Haddock. It goes well with my beard and the way I'm built. Where would I get the right type of sweater with the anchor symbol on it? Could I just get the sweater and add the anchor symbol. Is there a simpler costume that I could wear?
NikkiRoux
#2 · Posted: 24 Nov 2011 06:09
I think that Captain Haddock's costume is simple enough, especially if you already have his beard. His black trousers and brown shoes would not be difficult to find. I think he wears reddish-brown socks also.

A dark blue turtleneck would give you something close to the sweater. You could use fabric paint or markers for the anchor symbol or just sew it on with black thread.

His sweater, trousers and shoes would already make a complete costume, but there's also his jacket and hat. A black jacket would be easy to obtain, I think, but I don't know where to get the hat. You could try making it or modifying another hat, but since Haddock is frequently seen without his hat, I think you'd be fine without it.
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 24 Nov 2011 06:15
I too am going to dress up as Captain Haddock (I have a beard but it's more red than black, unlike my dark brown hair) but I have just over a month until the movie is out in Australia. Plenty of time to track down a sailor hat and pipe (the more difficult items to obtain). I think I'll have to find a deep blue skivvy and then sew an anchor on (could be difficult). I don't want the addition of the black suit jacket, since it'll already be quite warm (Summer). I might make up a Loch Lomond design for a bottle.
What's a sweater? Something like a jumper?
Jelsemium
#4 · Posted: 24 Nov 2011 23:19
Yes, what Americans call a "sweater", you call a "jumper."

Amazon has a nice selection of hats, do a search for "black captain hat." I think the Aegean Cotton Captain's Hat is especially dashing.
Tmsloan
#5 · Posted: 26 Nov 2011 02:45
In 1975 I bought a tight knit oiled wool sweater(jumper) on the Isle of Jersey with an anchor woven into it. Lore has it sailors wore it to identify their country if lost at sea. I have not been able to find a replacement
Jelsemium
#6 · Posted: 28 Nov 2011 07:34
How about buying a pin shaped like an anchor or a pin with an anchor design on it?
Captain Chester
#7 · Posted: 29 Nov 2011 02:37
You might also consider looking for an iron-on anchor patch. They're pretty common (in the U.S., anyway) and they're easy to apply.

CC
Jelsemium
#8 · Posted: 13 Dec 2011 22:45
There aren't any good girl costumes from Tintin, especially as those opera get ups that Castafiore wears are a bit too bulky. I got a nice Tintin movie T-shirt from Amazon. They must be new, I don't recall seeing them when I looked a few months ago.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!