Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Do you like Captain Haddock?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

calculite
#1 · Posted: 18 Mar 2012 00:31
Do any of you guys like Captain Haddock?
skater95
#2 · Posted: 18 Mar 2012 00:37
Of course! He's funny, likable and almost always does the right thing. IMO, he and Tintin make a great duo :)
mct16
#3 · Posted: 18 Mar 2012 01:40
He's bad-tempered, swears a lot (but no four-letter words), is easily provoked, loses his temper with just about anything and prefers to stay at home and take it easy. How can I not like him? He so reminds me of me.
Star Child
#4 · Posted: 18 Mar 2012 06:47
I agree! I like to call my dad 'Captain Haddock' because he's always swearing when something goes wrong. Except my dad isn't an alcaholic (Thank goodness!).

So how can I not like him? He causes the majority of the comedy in the whole Tintin series!
Furienna
#5 · Posted: 19 Mar 2012 08:39
He's not as "perfect" as Tintin, but he sure is funnier.
kygoober16
#6 · Posted: 21 Mar 2012 03:07
They asked people who read Tintin who there favorite character is. Strangely, Captain Haddock was the most likes character. I honestly like the Thom(p)sons more than Captain.
tintinsgf
#7 · Posted: 22 Mar 2012 15:19
Well, I don't tolerate alcoholism. Not even once. This is the main reason I don't put Haddock as my top favorite character.

What I really like from him is that he got some funny contradictions (for example, at Red Sea Sharks, Haddock told Tintin to be calm after seeing a periscope, yet he himself panicked after he too saw the periscope). There's so much of this, that I always laughed at him when he shows this :D.

I like Haddock, but I do love Tintin and Professor Calculus more. :)
Furienna
#8 · Posted: 22 Mar 2012 16:43
tintinsgf:
Well, I don't tolerate alcoholism. Not even once. This is the main reason I don't put Haddock as my top favorite character.

Don't you tolerate the existence of it in general, or just not in comic books?

While I don't like drinking either, alcoholism is like a disease. It's not that easy for an alcoholic to stop drinking, unless you get professional help. Of course, you can argue that people shouldn't start drinking at all. But so many still do, because of peer pressure or to "get some confidence", and some of these turn out to be alcoholics. And depression and traumas can also lead to alcoholism, when you try to drink your sorrows away.

And as for Captain Haddock, except for his first scene in "The crab with the golden claws", at least he's a very functional alcoholic. He doesn't just sit around drinking, but he follows Tintin into adventure after adventure. He has a tendency to get tired faster than Tintin though.
tintinsgf
#9 · Posted: 23 Mar 2012 03:05
Furienna:
Don't you tolerate the existence of it in general, or just not in comic books?

Well, in general. Aside from his alcoholism, I just don't favor Haddock's personality in general. Might seems weird, but I just like other character more than him.

Furienna:
And as for Captain Haddock, except for his first scene in "The crab with the golden claws", at least he's a very functional alcoholic. He doesn't just sit around drinking, but he follows Tintin into adventure after adventure. He has a tendency to get tired faster than Tintin though.

Oh well, I think it's also due to his age. Functional alcoholic, eh? Well, I'll definitely admit that... :D

I agree with you about the points on alcoholism. Though this thread is about Captain Haddock anyway :D.
jasperjava
#10 · Posted: 23 Mar 2012 03:41
The most likeable thing about Captain Haddock is his humanity. He is known for his quick temper, but he also sheds a tear when he thinks Abdallah is giving him a gift. In Tibet, he offers to sacrifice himself to save Tintin's life. I love how absolutely opposed he was to what seemed (reasonably) to be a futile expedition, threatening to walk away several times, but ended up following Tintin out of sheer friendship and loyalty.

Haddock has a great heart. His faults only make him more believable and human.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!