Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

When did you first hear about Tintin?

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

tintinroxs
#1 · Posted: 18 Oct 2012 18:31
The first time I saw the Tintin movie, it was Dec. 26, 2011. I remember the day vividly. We were all going to the movie theater. I remember sitting in there and thinking: This is awesome!!:) What about you?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 18 Oct 2012 18:57
Impossible to say!
You have to remember that in many parts of the world, Tintin & Cº are such established characters that they are everywhere, so you just see them as you are growing up; I watched the Belvision cartoons when they were shown on the BBC before the main evening news, and saw the books my brother brough back from the library. I’ve a vivid memory of finding Prisoners of the Sun in the library corner of my primary-school class-room when I would have been about four, but more specifically than that I have no idea!
tintinsgf
#3 · Posted: 20 Oct 2012 05:16
I found Tintin first when I was 7 (I was in my 2nd grade in elementary school). I read an article in a children magazine about Tintin VCDs, and then when going to the market in my hometown my father bought 2 Tintin VCDs (The Black Island and The Cigars of Pharaouh, if I wasn't wrong). Although those VCDs aren't original, it played well at that time, and from that on, my love for Tintin sparked on.. :D
blu1skies
#4 · Posted: 30 Oct 2012 04:08
When I was in ninth grade French class! My teacher, a native Quebecois, was madly in love with him. I thought it was one of her strange obsessions until I actually watched a few of the animated TV series episodes in class. From then on, I was hooked… My house is practically a shrine to Tintin.
Blistring_Barnacles
#5 · Posted: 1 Nov 2012 01:44
There was this kid I was riding in the same car with on a field trip who was a fan. I was bored, so I borrowed his copy. Then I started getting them from the library. When I got to the Moon and Tibet ones, I had these weird memories of listening to recordings of them as a little kid! (Explorers gave me nightmares.) So I guess I found them twice :)
glendale
#6 · Posted: 1 Nov 2012 06:26
Great memories indeed. I was about 5/6 in around 1954.
My father was a Tintin fan wayback before that and he brought home the Tintin weekly magazine and when a new book came out he also purchased it. He had to read it first and seeing I was the forth child from 9 it took a while to get mu turn to read the book. We had the full set in hard cover. Many years later my dear mother discovered a silver fish in the cupboard amongst the books and decided to eliminate the whole lot.
Since then I purchased the collection for my son and now his sons read it and watch the DVD's.
It truly is from 7 to 77....
blisteringbarnacle
#7 · Posted: 5 Nov 2012 03:16
I have no idea. Even though I live in the States, I'm close enough to Canada to get TV stations from there. I used to watch the Ellipse-Nelvana series on Global on Saturday mornings. In fact nobody I knew was familiar with Tintin, and it never came up until French class in 8th grade, there was a sidebar about Tintin. I remember thinking "Why is Tintin in my French book?", now I feel stupid about that.
calculite
#8 · Posted: 5 Dec 2012 02:48
I found Red Rackham's Treasure in my bookshelf when I was 5. I didn't care at the time how it got there, but I enjoyed Tintin when I first read it.
BlackadderFan
#9 · Posted: 8 Dec 2012 12:31
I saw the TV series and the first book i read was the last completed one- Tintin and the Picaros
sondonista
#10 · Posted: 12 Dec 2012 08:31
I can remember pretty distinctly. I would have been about 6 or 7 and either on a trip to the local library or perhaps the school library, at which my mother worked; she suggested I take one home. It was Tintin in Tibet. Something about the story really grabbed me; what I remember most though was the feeling of empathy with the yeti, particularly at the end. I remember that Red Sea Sharks was next, then America, and that I was desperate to read Flight 714 but it was always checked out. I remember being disappointed by the Castafiore Emerald.... it was just a stupid magpie??? and having discussions with my schoolmates about it.

Then we moved overseas, to an island in the Pacific (without me having ever got my hands on Flight 714). My friends went to town for school but I was home schooled; there was, however, access to a library (we lived on the campus of a high school). It had an ancient collection of Asterix and Tintin and I went through everything they had several times over. I remember that exasperatingly they had only one of several of the two-parters - they had Destination but not Explorers; they had Rackham but not Secret; they had Crystal Balls but not Prisoners. But I lapped it up. There was something about it that was always familiar. The Karaboudjan was just like the rusty hulks that came into town; it was easy to imagine stowing away on one and ending up on the other side of the world. I was in an unfamiliar place (although it didn't take too long to be familiar), and I loved seeing how Tintin always adapted in his forthright and honest manner wherever he went.

Those editions were all musty from the tropical weather. The smell and heat is very evocative to me of settling down to read a Tintin. I have a very dogeared copy of the Black Island which was given to me on my 8th birthday which retained some of its own must over the years. When summer comes and the temperature rises, when it's just rained and the warmth of the sun makes the air pungent, I have an irrestistable urge to pull it off the shelf.

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!