Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Airlines Found in Tintin

HaydenMoyle
#1 · Posted: 27 Feb 2014 14:44
Because I haven't been able to find much info about this on the internet, I thought I'd study up on it myself.

Contrary to popular belief, Qantas and Air India (otherwise known as Sari Airlines) are not the only airlines depicted in The Adventures of Tintin series.

Qantas, Garuda Indonesia, KLM and Air India are the operational airlines to date.

After extensive scanning throughout the series, I have found 11 airlines in all: 4 operational, 3 defunct and 3 fictional.

A Qantas 707 (City of Melbourne) in the V-jet livery can be seen on the tarmac at Kemayoran (Dutch: Kemajoran) Airport, Jakarta, Indonesia (Stylised 'Djakarta'), beside which can be seen a Garuda Indonesian Airways Convair 990 Coronado (Flight 714, Pg. 1).

Air India
DC-3 (Tintin in Tibet, pg. 9, 28 & 58).

The tail of an unidentified Dutch KLM airliner can be seen in The Calculus Affair, pg. 16.

Defunct airlines include BEA: Boeing 727 (The Black Island, Pg. 62);
Sabena, national airline of Belgium (The Calculus Affair, Pg. 16 & 17); and the national airline of Switzerland and SABENA's parent company, Swissair (The Calculus Affair, pg. 17).

Fictional airlines: Syldair, the national airline of the fictional country of Syldavia makes it's debut in Destination Moon (pg. 2 & 3).
A Boeing 707 belonging to Santaero, the national airline of the fictional country of San Theodoros lands at the capital Los Dopicos/Tapiocapolis airport (Pg. 11 & 12) and a Santaero Boeing 747-100 (?) on page 62 (Tintin and the Picaros).
A third fictional airline by the name of Arabair causes quite an uproar (The Red Sea Sharks) in the fictional Emirate of Khemed. It is unknown whether the DC-3 that crash landed 30 miles from the capital city, Wadesdah belonged to Arabair.
Note. The List of A-Z brand names in Tintin mentions Alitalia in Tintin and Alph-art, and an Air France airliner in The Broken Ear, of which I have been unable to find.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 27 Feb 2014 16:17
Hi, and welcome to the forums! Glad you brought the discussion here from Twitter - you've put in a very thorough bit of Tintinology there!

I'm not a 'plane spotter by any means, but the Air France air-liner in Broken Ear is a Wibault 283 T which appears in a yellow livery in the last frame of page 12; don't know if that's historically accurate, but the logo on the nose is the winged Hippocamp creature in a circle which was Air France's emblem for many years.

It has been included as part of the collection of 'planes being released as models (which is how I identified the make).
Richard1631978
#3 · Posted: 27 Feb 2014 19:46
The BEA plane in The Black Island is a Hawker Siddley Trident, not a Boeing 727.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!