Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Haddock: his finest moment?

Ranko
#1 · Posted: 8 Jan 2005 21:36
I've Just been reading through some old posts and worked out that a lot of people's favourite moments involve Haddock and Destination/ Explorers on the Moon

Personally I think these are his shining moment. In fact, it was probably these 2 books that made him my favourite ahead of Tintin.
From cracking his head on the car door on the way to the atomic research facility, to tripping over the stretcher once back on earth...
Other adventures have come close (Red Sea Sharks, Red Rackham's Treasure) but his finest moment? The Moon adventures for me.
What do you think?
jayesh_gokhale
#2 · Posted: 9 Jan 2005 05:22
As such throughout the series, after the Secret of the Unicorn, the captain in a way takes over from Tintin (He has at many times overshadowed Tintin and also has had more of a spot light) except the land of Black Gold where he surprisingly has more of a cameo.

For me his best moments are - Castafiore Emerald and Picaros probably (at least the earlier pages)

As far as the moon episode is concerned, I feel Calculus is at his very best in them.
MoonRocket
#3 · Posted: 9 Jan 2005 15:59
The sticking plaster. That's a great scene. And most of "Destination Moon" are too hilarious. ("Have you seen my pipe?" etc.) Also, we can't forget the Captain's problems with Cuthbert and the diving suit fiasco in "Red Rackham's Treasure."
maximus
#4 · Posted: 12 Jan 2005 12:11
Hi All,
There are a lot of favourite 'Haddock's finest moments'. I think the story would get boring in the end without Captain Haddock.
One of my favourite Haddock moment is when Professor Calculus says when he is removing the weeds from the propeller of the submarine - "You see?.... it's just as I said. Weeds..." [Red Rackham's Treasure, p.38, 7th frame].
To this the Captain mocks Calculus's behaviour and says - "Really? I thought they were weeds..."
If someone looks at this frame, they might not find anything funny, but when you look at it in detail, you can see Captain's sense of humour.
There are many other fine moments I liked:
[1] When he gets a shock from the electric eel in Picaros.
[2] When he is shocked after he wakes up in the monastery looking at the gods [Tintin in Tibet, p.47, 8th frame].
[3] When he is surprised by Bianca Castafiore [The Castafiore Emerald, p.8, 9th frame].

This list goes on and on...
Cheers,
Maximus
OJG
#5 · Posted: 12 Jan 2005 20:32
Maximus' comment about the Red Rackham's Treasure scene reminds me of earlier in the book (page 23), where the Captain analyses the Thompsons calculations of the ship's course, saying "I mean, gentlemen, that according to your calculations we are now standing inside Westminster Abbey". The looks on his face and the detectives as they walk off are fantastic.
Karaboudjan
#6 · Posted: 12 Jan 2005 20:41
He is a fine moment, all on his own...

(Can anyone else tell I'm hopelessly subjugated? And biased?)
jockosjungle
#7 · Posted: 12 Jan 2005 23:05
Going into the clothes brushing machine at the beginning of Red Rackham's Treasure and Calculus' deafness in the aftermath.

Rik
snafu
#8 · Posted: 19 Feb 2005 07:11
The scene where Captain Haddock single-handedly charges at the desert raiders in "The Crab with the Golden Claws" is definitely the most amusing moment for him. I still howl with laughter when I spontaneously think about that moment...

Other great moments (in no particular order):

->The Crab with the Golden Claws: After he drinks a glass of water (!)

->Prisoners of the Sun: Interactions with the llamas

->The Red Sea Sharks: First meeting with Skut

->The Shooting Star: All that whiskey!!!

->Red Rackham's Treasure: After that first bottle of rum...LOL!

->The Castafiore Emerald: The last incident with the broken step

->Tintin and the Picaros: Haddock and the telegrams officer (don't ask me: ARE YOU MAD??? : ) )

->Tintin in Tibet: Haddock charging the Abominable Snowman

->Explorers on the Moon: Haddock studying astronomy, right...

->The Red Sea Sharks: Haddock and spraying stuff w/ water...

->The Shooting Star: The Captain on the deck during the storm
number1fan
#9 · Posted: 8 Mar 2010 21:22
Getting revenge on the Lama at the end of Prisoners of the Sun.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!