Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin Books: Propaganda for the Nazis or the Allies?

adman32003
#1 · Posted: 14 Jan 2005 05:02
Do you think some of the Tintin books are propaganda for either the Nazis or the Allies?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 26 Jan 2005 16:32
This would be a more fruitful topic for discussion, adman32003, if you were to put forward your own opinion: for example, what caused you to think about this subject? Have you picked up on something in the books, or read something somewhere? How do you define “propaganda”?

If you are just wondering about Hergé and his experiences during the Occupation, there have been various mentions in a number of threads; perhaps you want to go to the “Search” option at the top of the page and put a few key words through, such as “Nazi”, “WWII” and “war” - you’ll probably think of a few more yourself.
tybaltstone
#3 · Posted: 26 Jan 2005 19:00
(modestly) ... and check out the articles section too... under 'I'...

http://www.tintinologist.org/articles/index.html

Best -
Garen.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 26 Jan 2005 21:40
I’m so glad I excised a large portion of my message before I posted it, as it covered only a fraction of Garen’s article, and in nowhere near the same eloquent fashion!
snafu
#5 · Posted: 18 Feb 2005 22:52
No. Some Bodurian soldiers wore German-style helmets in the scene when Tintin is trying to flee to Syldavia by air in "King Ottokar's Sceptre". Syldavia also looks like a combination of a number of Eastern European nations between the Axis powers and the USSR. Some scenes try to show evidence that Syldavia uses the Kyrillic script, and some of the clothing that the Syldavians wear appear quite similar to what was worn in the Balkans, which was ravaged during WWII. The same can be said about the drawings of various Syldavian towns and villages. In addition, doesn't it occur to you that Musstler, one of the main villains of the episode, is what you get when you combine the names Mussolini (Muss) and Hitler (tler) together?

I didn't see any evidence of propaganda for the Allies either. "King Ottokar's Sceptre" appears to be more of a warning about the Axis menace than propaganda for either side of the war. No wonder why Herge had to be especially careful about keeping his mouth shut on political matters while drawing the WWII-era comic strips!
nickdude77
#6 · Posted: 2 Mar 2005 22:14
According to Harry Thompson, Herge tried to remain as apolitical as possible during the occupation. You'll notice that Tintin effectively stops acting like a journalist at this point in history.
snafu
#7 · Posted: 30 Mar 2005 20:15
Tintin is only seen once writing a story, and that was back in 1929. Even in "The Blue Lotus", quite some time before WWII, Tintin already seen not writing a story. The last reference of him working for the media (correct me on this) is in "The Shooting Star", where the announcer says that he represents the press.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!