Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin books: how many albums in the series?

nonato
#1 · Posted: 19 Apr 2005 20:06
Does anyone know how many Tintin books there are and how many have been made for TV?
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 20 Apr 2005 06:45
24 Tintin books, 21 have been made for TV. 25/22 if you cound Lake of Sharks

Rik
nonato
#3 · Posted: 20 Apr 2005 10:54
Thanks for the info.
harishankar
#4 · Posted: 20 Apr 2005 17:29
Just out of curiosity, which ones haven't been made for the TV and why?
Richard
UK Correspondent
#5 · Posted: 20 Apr 2005 17:37
The books not made were :
1. Tintin in the Land of the Soviets because it was deemed too anti-communist, too naïve, and without any sort of plot or story
2. Tintin in the Congo because of its dubious depiction of Africans, and because the book was not a part of the English 'canon'
3. Tintin and Alph-Art because it was in far too rough a state to even contemplate being turned into a cartoon, comprising of 3 pages of finished pencil drawings, 42 pages of rough sketches, some typed notes and a few additional pages of ideas.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 21 Apr 2005 14:06
Richard
The books not made were :
1. Tintin in the Land of the Soviets because it was deemed too anti-communist, too naïve, and without any sort of plot or story

I think you’d also have to add that the fact it is in a different style and only in black and white probably put it straight out of the frame, ahead of most of the plot elements. The Nelvana series was given a uniform look, adapted from Hergé’s colour books, which couldn’t have been applied to Soviets.

Add to that the point you gave about for Congo about it not being part of the canon at the time the productions were made, and I think that it was never a goer as part of the Nelvana series.
harishankar
#7 · Posted: 21 Apr 2005 15:57
Thanks jock123 and Richard.

I hadn't thought of those three because I don't even have them and somehow I have never considered them part of the "proper" Tintin adventures.

"Congo" is not available in India (as far I know).

"Soviets" was there, but somehow I was not interested in buying it even for its curiosity value simply because the cover page did not inspire me enough. As for "Alph Art" I can give a ditto: simply not interested enough to consider buying it.
jockosjungle
#8 · Posted: 21 Apr 2005 16:35
I think you’d also have to add that the fact it is in a different style and only in black and white probably put it straight out of the frame, ahead of most of the plot elements. The Nelvana series was given a uniform look, adapted from Hergé’s colour books, which couldn’t have been applied to Soviets.

It would have been a testament to the production team if they could have managed an adaption though, would have been really good to see how they interpreted the artwork, etc.

Rik
iluvtintin
#9 · Posted: 6 Oct 2016 04:49
There are 23 Tintin comics. It's 25 if you count Alph-Art and Lake of the Sharks. Lake of the Sharks is not a official Tintin comic. It was based on the 1972 movie. Alph-Art was never done. so I don't count it. but both books is good to have for your collection.

There are 21 episodes of the 1990's series. There also 103 episodes if you count the 1960's cartoons.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!