Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Golden Fleece & Blue Oranges: Are members of the casts still alive?

advnarayan
#1 · Posted: 11 Sep 2005 18:32
Following the hubbub surrounding the proposed Tintin movie, I wonder if any of the original cast members of The Golden Fleece and/ or The Blue Oranges are still alive?

I know Jean-Pierre Talbot, the actor who played Tintin is very much still with us, but how about Georges Wilson or Jean Bouise (who portrayed Captain Haddock) or Georges Loriet and Felix Fernandez (the actors playing Calculus) still alive?

Likewise are Andre Barrett and Remo Forliani, the script writers, still with us?

If so, shouldn't they be given at least a cameo in the new film? Wouldn't that be a perfect hommage to Hergé?

Also, any idea if the original cast and crew members of the two Tintin plays are still with us...?
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 11 Sep 2005 19:22
No idea if they are still alive but I don't think they should be given a cameo in the new movie if it is made. Cameos from past workings of a project only really work if that person is linked very closely to the current project.

Good examples are when an author of the book the film is based on has a small role (Big Fish for example) or stars from the original TV show have a small role (Starsky and Hutch).

Neither Tintin film is either loved enough or synonomous with Tintin enough to consider giving anyone in them a role in my opinion.

If Herge had been alive then maybe so, but the actors in the film i don't believe would be a perfect homage to Herge and I doubt his family would feel that it would be.

Rik
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#3 · Posted: 11 Sep 2005 20:21
I think it would be interesting for Jean-Pierre Talbot to have a minor role in the new movie. He's certainly changed in appearance enough for him to blend in - at least to some extent.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 11 Sep 2005 20:52
advnarayan, you can find a lot of that sort of information on www.imdb.com, the Internet Movie Database. I've done a little searching and found:

Georges Wilson, the first Haddock, is still alive and acting, with a couple of projects to his credit for 2005.
Update: Georges Wilson passed away on the 3rd of February, 2010.

Jean Bouise, the second Haddock, died in 1989, and the film Nikita, on which he worked, is dedicated to him.

The Calculuses:

Georges Loriot, the first Calculus, may be alive, but he hasn't made an appearance since 1970.
Update: M. Loriot died on the 8th of May, 1990. Intriguingly, IMDB notes that he appeared in both films, making an otherwise uncredited cameo as a guest at the ceremony at Marlinspike at the end. I can see that there's a man in a morning suit with glasses and a goatee beard who may be him, but I can't confirm it is him.
Félix Fernández, the first Calculus, died in 1966.

Like Loriot, Jenny Orléans (Castafiore) may be alive, but her last credit was 1974.
Update: Sadly Mme. Orléans died on the 12th of April, 2008.

Franky François and André Marié, the detectives for Oranges have virtually nothing against them, and again are missing in action.
M. François seems to have been a clown or mime, partnered by James Hodges (and sometimes in a trio, with Liliane Hodges), and it was the pair of them who were intially offered the double act of the detectives. However Hodges demurred because he would have been required to shave his hair and beard for the role, so François took the rôle with André Marié (who, it would appear, dubbed both their voices).
The Hodges had a notable career as puppeteers, forming various companies to perform different styles of puppetry. James Hodges also worked in magic and illusions, and contributed items to the Musée Robert Houdin in Blois.
André Marié doesn't have many credits, but he did appear as a juggler in a 1966 film, so given the circles in which M. François seems to have travelled, it's quite possible that he too had a background in the circus/ mime/ performative theatre world.

I'd be happy for any and all survivors to have the fun of a cameo in the new movies - it would be a nice tip of the hat to their contributiuon to the overall Tintin movie mythos.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!