Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

[Locked] "Unicorn" Movie: News and general discussion

Page  Page 6 of 65:  « Previous  1  ...  5  6  7  ...  64  65  Next » 

colombani
#51 · Posted: 28 Sep 2005 09:19
When I think about it, the actor who, if he were alive today and not too old, seemed born to play Haddock was Oliver Reed. I remember thinking this a very long time ago. He even had the same love of alcohol as the Captain.
Danagasta
#52 · Posted: 12 Mar 2006 01:48
Miyazaki would be good, but what about John Lasseter? Or better yet, both of them? A good mix of old-school cel and CG would be amazing. As for Leonardo DiCaprio and James Gandolfini...that's out there for me, considering they don't look a thing like the characters (and I hate the Sopranos with a vengeance!)
thmthm
#53 · Posted: 12 Mar 2006 04:05
I swear its like there's a top secret cult coverup around this project. About 3 years ago I met someone who had done research for the film who refused to give more details when I pushed for more. Then I squandered an opportunity to meet the production designer who would be in the running to design the movie ...and then on a set of another film, I met a prodution coordinator who basically told me nothing was goin on with it, due to the fact that Indiana Jones 4 was in the works...although It seemed like she too was holding something back, or I was just imagining things because of my suspicious curiosity.

I think tintin lives on the page and there a good chance it will get butchered if its turned into a movie...(like most comic book films, although they are the men in tights kind)

Depends who's behind the camera. If jeunet was directing with Spielberg as producer...

Another thing is the idea of a trilogy: I havent seen any of the Harry Potter movies but I hear the third one (different director) just trounces the first two which are mediocre at best. Or look at the old batman series vs the latest Batman Begins which blew them away. So if there was ever a tintin trilogy, I hope they choose the right person from the start ...you would think so...its been in the works for so long...
Tintinrulz
#54 · Posted: 12 Mar 2006 12:48
Interesting news. It doesn't seem to be a bit 'under wraps' though. There's not even the slightest hit that there will be a movie!
pgram
#55 · Posted: 1 Apr 2006 16:01
I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but why not make it CGI? The style of the drawings can be very easily transformed to CGI, whereas with live actors is rather impossible. Haddock won't be too difficult to find. It is Tintin who would be rather impossible.
jockosjungle
#56 · Posted: 1 Apr 2006 17:09
Pgram - That actually was the idea up to a few years ago, can't remember if it was to be a film or a CGI series

Rik
Richard
UK Correspondent
#57 · Posted: 1 Apr 2006 18:14
My personal choice would be a 2D, traditionally animated film à la the new Asterix and the Vikings, done on an equally large budget. None of the previous adaptations have captured Hergé's vision properly, but at the moment I think that 2D would be the way to go.

Live action could work - I genuinly think Golden Fleece is a good film - but as has been said, the difficulty of finding actors suitable to play the roles comes into question. The settings would be nice to see in reality.

I view CGI as something that should be used when trying to make something realistic that would be impossible using real actors (eg. Shrek, Monsters Inc.). I don't mean I don't enjoy CGI films, but in many cases it's like a confused middle ground between cel animation and live action, and I fear that would be the case with Tintin. I'd want a film to be either as close to the books as possible (a big budget 2D animation) or a live action reincarnation capturing the spirit of the books; not something in between.
pgram
#58 · Posted: 1 Apr 2006 19:07
Fair enough.

I think, everyone would love to see a traditionally made good Tintin animation film. I haven't seen all the existing ones, but the ones I have (including the TV series) don't do him justice at all. In fact, I have discussed with many people who are not fans, because they just dislike the animations.

My suggestion was that I prefer CGI to live actors, bearing in mind that Tintin characters could easily be created with CGI (unlike, say, Asterix, for whom it is the quality of the line of Uderzo, or the animators, that gives him life). For Tintin, characters have more clear volume. Whatismore, the ligne claire universe of Herge, with the bright colours and clean surfaces could be realized in 3D cartoons even better than real life.

And since nowadays there is little (or no) difference between live action action films and 3D cartoons, you could circumvent the difficulty of casting by CGI. By the way, 3D cartoons seem to sell a lot more than traditional animation films these days, which could be another motivation for Spielberg (or whoever) to do it this way.
SingingGandalf
#59 · Posted: 1 Apr 2006 20:18
I doubt that any form of animation will be used, as it's not really Spielberg's style, and things like that already exist with the ecllipse/nelvana series. I think the more important questions are is there actually going to be a film (so far it's pretty much just rumours), and will a new story be created, or will they use an original books.

à la the new Asterix and the Vikings

What's this? Is it in the series with actors like the other two.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#60 · Posted: 1 Apr 2006 21:47
SingingGandalf
What's this? Is it in the series with actors like the other two.

No, it's a 2D animated film, due to be released across Europe in the next few months. One of the directors, Jesper Møller, said this about the process: "All the basic animation work was done traditionally. Drawing the characters, designing the extremely precise storyboard, creating backgrounds, the animation, developing the image - we put great care into each of these stages. We wanted to be sure to respect Uderzo's particular style." That's the kind of thing I'd like to hear about a Tintin film, and I would dearly love to see the ligne claire brought perfectly to screen in a 2D film, but as you said, it'll probably be a live action film.

Page  Page 6 of 65:  « Previous  1  ...  5  6  7  ...  64  65  Next » 

This topic is closed.