Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Belvision: Voices and accents in the series.

jock123
#1 · Posted: 12 Sep 2004 10:13
[From the thread, Ellipse-Nelvana: "Shooting Star" - director of San Theodoros Bank?]

Tintinrulz asked (of the Belvision series):
Crazyness! Why does the Professor have to get a German accent? It so does not suit him.

Because Albert Einstein had one, as did Werner Von Braun, would be my guess. The dubbing was done by American voice-actors, and I think that connection between famous foreign scientists and Calculus would be very obvious to people at the time. Von Braun even appeared on things like The Wonderful World of Disney, so would have been known to children, and therefore a good model (I am talking artistically, not morally or politically about the father of the V weapons) for a boffinish scientist.

They may even have known, as the same crew were voicing the Moon book adaptations, that Von Braun would also be a suitable analog for Calculus and his rocket work (articles, illustrated by Chesley Bonestell in Collier's magazine about space travel, were based on Von Braun and his work, and used by Hergé for research).

As to not suiting him, I wholly disagree! I like the Belvision voices, personally, and think the Professor sounds just fine!
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 12 Sep 2004 12:20
Sorry about going off topic before!

You've made very valid points but my personal preference for the Professor's voice is Nelvana's version.
thomas
#3 · Posted: 12 Sep 2004 20:08
In French, we haven't this German accent for Calculus. It's only a "problem" in English!!! (That's a joke ;-)!!)
SingingGandalf
#4 · Posted: 10 May 2006 20:01
I love the way the professor says Snowy - it's like 'Schnowy'! I do prefer the E/N voices, but Calculus is my favourite of the Belevision voices.
JacobLBA
#5 · Posted: 29 Aug 2010 17:33
Peter Hawkins' Calculus suits the character more. But every time I watch Objective Moon, I laugh my head off when he says: "We'll blasht off the rocket, und shoot it upshtairs to the moon!".

Moderator Note: It can't be said for certain, but the Calculus voice you are speaking of is probably not Mr. Hawkins, but one of the original American voice-cast.

The Tintinologist Team

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!