Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Flight 714: Title Change to "Flight 714 to Sydney"

Stas Werno
#1 · Posted: 10 Aug 2006 21:18
I noticed this title had changed to add the "...to Sydney" on a paperback in the Tintin Shop today. The full change over is due soon - how exciting! :)
Grab the old title while you can (I did)!

I actually prefer the original English title translation. But still!
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#2 · Posted: 10 Aug 2006 22:37
This was discussed in this topic where we speculated on the possible change.

Just to clarify, did you see the new title as the actual title on the front page, or on the relevant thumbnail on the back page? I suppose it's all to do with the drive to standardise the editions worldwide (though whether that's the initiative of Egmont, Casterman, la Fondation or le Chateau is still open for debate).

Stas, would you be able to look through the new paperbacks and see if the text has been newly typeset, as discussed in this topic?

Ed
Stas Werno
#3 · Posted: 11 Aug 2006 13:52
I can confirm that the 20 or so paperbacks we have in stock have the "to Sydney" part added, on the actual front cover, and I've been told the next set of hardbacks will follow suit.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#4 · Posted: 11 Aug 2006 15:15
Stas Werno:
I can confirm that the 20 or so paperbacks we have in stock have the "to Sydney" part added

Well, well! Looks like the suspicions were right...

Ed
Stas Werno
#5 · Posted: 11 Aug 2006 15:56
The text in the new books is less "bold" and looking closely, the letters looks typed.

Here's the story: an Australian collector approached Michael Turner on a trip to Brussels asking why the English didn't include the word "Sydney" on it. Nick Rodwell thought it made sense, brought it up with Egmont who were going to digitise the albums anyway (possibly the reason for the new type), and agreed!

So there you go :)

And to answer the last question, the new copies of Flight 714 to Sydney, which have just come through with the title change, are also dated 2002 on the inside front.

This topic is closed.