Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Hergé: Which National Geographic issues used?

cuthbert
#1 · Posted: 10 Aug 2004 13:11
I recently read Hergé used National Geographic magazines as reference material for his Tintin albums... And my grandad in the States has every single one of them since 1921! (Why? Don't ask me!)

So, I was wondering, does anybody know which ones they were, because he would be happy to send them over.

-Cuthbert
marsbar
#2 · Posted: 10 Aug 2004 14:14
Feb, Sept, Dec 1938, and Aug 1941 are the issues mentioned in Frank Madsen's article about the inspirational sources of Hergé. You can find the article in the articles section of our site: https://www.tintinologist.org/articles/inspiration.html
cuthbert
#3 · Posted: 11 Aug 2004 09:28
wow! Thanks a lot! I've sent him an e-mail and the copies are on their way!
chevet
Belgium Correspondent
#4 · Posted: 10 Oct 2004 17:58
A special issue of the French edition of the National Geographic in November 2004 will be dedicated to this subject. Here is the presentation text by the editor:
"Le National Géographic fait découvrir le monde à des millions de lecteurs depuis plus d'un siècle. Réputé pour la qualité de ses reportages, aussi bien pour les textes que pour ses photos, le National géographic est très vite devenu une source d'inspiration et de documentation pour de nombreux artistes.
C'est le cas notamment des auteurs de bandes dessinées comme des scénaristes de film. Ce numéro exceptionnel de 120 pages (grand format: 22x27,5 cm) nous dévoile l'importance et l'éventail des influences du magazine depuis Hergé et Jacobs, le créateur de Blake et Mortimer, jusqu'aux auteurs contemporains.
Il représente pour eux une référence en matière d'aventures et de découvertes."

("The National Geographic has been bringing the world to millions of readers for more than a century. Renowned for the quality of its reports, both the writing and pictures, The National Geographic very quickly became a source of inspiration and documentation for many artists.
This is particularly the case for comic book authors and film script-writers.
This exceptional 120-page issue (large format: 22x27.5 cm) reveals the importance and extent of the magazine's influence, from Hergé and Jacobs - creator of Blake and Mortimer - to contemporary authors.
It represents for them a reference work, in terms of adventure and discovery.")

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!