Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: Favoured mode of transport... the plane?

varun0883
#1 · Posted: 18 May 2005 07:48
Hi friends,
I would like to share with you an interesting fact. Tintin always travelled by flight.
Wherever he went, he used to travel by flight - like to Slydavia in King Ottokar's Sceptre, and to New Delhi in Tintin in Tibet.

Though ironically Captain was a sailor by profession, they used to travel less on ship.
Maybe Hergé used the concept of an aeroplane due to the then advancement in air travel!
tybaltstone
#2 · Posted: 18 May 2005 10:16
Although I haven't counted planes vs ships, I thought Tintin was much more of a boat-traveller, but I may be wrong (as I often am!). Of course, the earlier adventures use boats more often, and the book 'Tintin at Sea' really shows how much ships and boats were part of the adventures. I wonder if such a book could be made out of his air-travel?
jock123
#3 · Posted: 18 May 2005 10:23
I'm with tybaltstone on this - think of the voyage of The Karaboudjan, the Sirius, the liner in Cigars - not to mention trips in life-boats, rafts, luxury yachts, shark-submarines and Egyptian coffins! Add in the odd sea-plane, and our hero was often at sea!

Mind you, Hergé did have a mind to set an adventure entirely inside an airport terminal, as it had all human life passing through, he reckoned, so you may be onto something after all...
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 18 May 2005 20:53
In the later adventures when flying was less of a novelty (after he'd been to the Moon) I think Tintin started to fly more but he was a hardened boater in the early adventures.

Except in Soviets where he took the train...

Rik

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!