Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in The Congo: Who is the publisher?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

snowybella
#11 · Posted: 28 Jan 2019 12:43
Tuck

It's difficult to say if it's bootleg or not - however, if you're looking for the colour edition, then if the picture has a red stripe saying "Collector's Edition" on it, it's likely to be official.

If that stripe isn't on the picture, then what does the cover look like? Does the website say that it is sixty-two (or sixty-four, at the most) pages, and is a "See Inside" feature avalible? If the weight is listed, how much does the website say it weighs?
Tuck
#12 · Posted: 29 Jan 2019 07:44
Sorry guys, I thought my post would link to the image.

It's the black-and-white version, supposedly a Casterman from 1991. I actually found another one listed on Abe Books without the Casterman logo on the front as well.

Bit of a moot point as I ended up buying it anyway, but still just wondering if it's actually an official version or not.
jock123
#13 · Posted: 29 Jan 2019 11:17
Tuck:
It's the black-and-white version, supposedly a Casterman from 1991

If it's the version with Tintin in his safari outfit, with the leopard behind him, then that doesn't have "Casterman" on the cover; the later version, with the yellowish cover and the inset picture does say "Casterman".
Tuck:
still just wondering if it's actually an official version or not.

Not aware of there being any pirate editions of this title in circulation, but I suppose it's possible. Let us know what you get in the end. :-)
Tuck
#14 · Posted: 30 Jan 2019 09:37
It's definitely the white cover, not the yellow one. Tintin's in a safari outfit and the snow leopard is indeed behind him.

I bought it along with what is supposed to be a first edition of In The Land Of The Soviets from 1989 which looks a bit more legit, so I'll let you guys know what ends up arriving.
tintiNZ
#15 · Posted: 31 Jan 2019 04:59
Tuck, I'm guessing you will have the 1991 H/C B&W Tintin in the Congo printed in Belgium by Casterman.
White cover with green cloth spine. Text 1991 by Sundancer, 34 Floral St, London
It is the English translation by Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper and Michael Turner of the original 1930 edition put out by Les Editions du Petit Vingtieme
Oddly, There is no page numbering through the book.

Although it costs a bit to buy now, I do remember thinking it cost a packet back in 1991.
Tuck
#16 · Posted: 3 Feb 2019 01:57
I think you might be dead right, tiniNZ. (Wish I could figure out how to post an image on here).

It matches your description exactly, and having flicked through In The Land Of The Soviets, I found it a bit odd there are no page numbers.

I paid $AU60 for the pair. I'm guessing I got a bit of a bargain?

Moderator Note: You can always post an image to an image sharing site - Instagram, Facebook, etc. - and then post a link to that from here.
snowybella
#17 · Posted: 4 Feb 2019 00:30
Tuck:
having flicked through In The Land Of The Soviets

I would say that the Soviets you've bought is a genuine first edition - oddly, apart from my own copy of the Cigars facsimile, I've heard that all editions everybody else has have no page numbers.

Does the Congo book have the following endpapers: white outlines of Tintin doing things (running in a Soviet costume, knocking out some Rumbabas (called Rambabas on this page), etc.) against a dark-blue background?
Tuck
#18 · Posted: 4 Feb 2019 07:47
jock123
#19 · Posted: 4 Feb 2019 18:26
snowybella:
I've heard that all editions everybody else has have no page numbers.

You almost convinced me there, so I did go and check, and Soviets does have page numbers - it's especially important that it does, in the case of the facsimile version, as it makes the inclusion of "page 97A" identifiable (the so-called "lost" page which has now been available for so long, and in so many books, that it scarcely seems worth mentioning these days!).

snowybella:
Does the Congo book have the following endpapers:

The Sundancer facsimile doesn't have endpapers, but it does have the Foreward printed on the inside front cover, which warns the reader of the dated content of the book.
snowybella
#20 · Posted: 5 Feb 2019 00:36
jock123:
the so-called "lost" page which has now been available for so long

Not wishing to start drifting off-topic, but by "available", is the page back in Soviets, or did you just mean it's in the various guide-books? Both my editions (of Soviets) don't have it!

Oddly enough, my aunt's copy of Congo (which I think was a Casterman) has the endpapers with the Tintin figures blown huge, and the "Foreword" printed on a separate page, at the back...

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!