Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Which character that is in one book would you like to see more?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

RicardoOlcese
#11 · Posted: 15 Feb 2019 15:23
Shivam302001
Was she a Hergé character? I don't understand much of what happens with that last Art story. Is it Hergé's? Is it a forgery? I think I have seen in the forum that when one mentions it, there's some consternation as if we were talking about weapons of mass destruction to be sold to Borduria.
mct16
#12 · Posted: 15 Feb 2019 19:16 · Edited by: mct16
Herge was working on a story called "Tintin and Alph-Art" when he died in 1983. The story was a work-in-progress and Herge had already drawn several pages of rough sketches and dialogues. These were collected and published in book form.

Martine Vandezande is a character who appears in this story. When some crooks try to kill him Tintin suspects Martine of warning them that he was investigating the suspicious death of her late boss. She bursts into tears at these suspicions and Tintin decides that she is not to blame. Later he sees her getting involved with the guru of a suspect cult.

Several artists have completed the "Alph-Art" story and some have, apparently, suggested a budding romance between Tintin and Martine, but these were unauthorised - not permitted by Herge's estate.

Personally, I think that Herge was just using the character of Martine as a way of progressing the story.
Shivam302001
#13 · Posted: 16 Feb 2019 18:45
mct16

Herge had also used Signora Castafiore to further the plot in Ottokar's before she was incorporated as a main character in the series. So the same case could have happened to Miss Vandezande, atleast I feel so.

RicardoOlcese
If you are a fan of the Signora and have'nt read Alph-Art, then you simply must because she has a pretty important role to play in that adventure. Alph-Art is not another Calculus Affair, but a tale about art forgery. But I won't say anything more if you have'nt read the album yet.
RicardoOlcese
#14 · Posted: 16 Feb 2019 19:30
Shivam302001
I am the No 1 fan of Bianca, but not much as a cartoon character. I appreciate her as an artist and singer.
I haven't read Alph-Art, and I won't, because it's a forbidden, apocryphal, illegal, sinful book. Hergé didn't finish it, and he didn't authorize its publication. One can appreciate Schubert's "Unfinished" Symphony. But not an unfinished cartoon story.
Shivam302001
#15 · Posted: 16 Feb 2019 20:14
RicardoOlcese
But the cartoon story is by Herge!

Forbidden? How can it be forbidden when it is published in conjugation with all the proper authorities and keeping in mind the best interest of all? It has not been forbidden anywhere and Herge would have authorized it if only he had finished it.

Apocryphal? Herge himself said he was writing the album and that statement has been backed up by all the proper authorities.

Illegal? Alph-art by Herge is certainly legal and a great story at that.

Sinful? How can publishing an album written by Herge and meant to have been authorized by Herge be sinful? In fact, keeping the story unfinished till the point where Herge had left (although having plenty of notes and information collected by Herge himself) to finish the album is what I believe the greatest mark of respect to Herge.

And as for the unfinished plot, I prefer the ones left open-ended rather than the ones having a strict ending.

And anyway, the unfinished plot may have a boon in disguise for fans because you get to choose what happens to Tintin in his final adventure.
SenorLegrand
#16 · Posted: 1 Dec 2020 02:05
I'd like to have seen more from the Bird brothers, it would have been interesting to learn more about how they came to acquire Marlinspike and maybe who owned it prior to them. Who had the ships, how did they fall into the hands of the Bird brothers and Mr Sakharine.

I always found them pretty interesting, especially Max Bird, he had a real sense of menace about him.

As for Marlinspike--there's a mystique about the place. I spent hours studying those panels of the cellars of Marlinspike in Unicorn and Rackham books, there's so much to see.
luca
#17 · Posted: 2 Dec 2020 22:42
I'd like to see more of Mike McAdams, the hotel detective from Tintin in America. His descriptions of the case are ridiculously specific and it's even better how Tintin believes in him at first.

I also love Philippulus the Prophet from The Shooting Star and Ramacharma from Blue Lotus, the guy who crosses knives in his body but can't sit on a pillow. The moments where these two characters appear were two of the ones that made me laugh out loud more as a child.
Furienna
#18 · Posted: 10 Jan 2021 22:57
snowybella:
I would like to see Vlipvliop from Soviets to make a comeback, as a police officer in Borduria perhaps. Or maybe he would be a guest in Endadine Akass's palace in Ischa, in Alph-Art. He might even have become one of Tapioca's soldiers in the Picaros, as a spy for Syldavia!

Except for Tintin himself and Snowy and maybe Rastapopulos, no character in any of the three first adventures appears in more than one story.

luca:
I'd like to see more of Mike McAdams, the hotel detective from Tintin in America. His descriptions of the case are ridiculously specific and it's even better how Tintin believes in him at first.

He seems to have been replaced by the Thompsons.
mct16
#19 · Posted: 11 Jan 2021 19:54
SenorLegrand:
I'd like to have seen more from the Bird brothers, it would have been interesting to learn more about how they came to acquire Marlinspike and maybe who owned it prior to them. Who had the ships, how did they fall into the hands of the Bird brothers and Mr Sakharine.

Sir Francis Hadoque originally owned Marlinspike and had three sons, the eldest of whom should, in theory, have inherited it. I imagine that the three sons or their descendants moved out of the château and had to sell it at some stage. That would explain why Captain Archibald Haddock had never heard of Marlinspike when he meets Tintin there in the course of "Secret".

If the Hadoques did leave then it follows that two of the model ships also left and would have been sold in order to raise money, which is how Sakharine and Tintin acquire them. The third one remained in the attic in Marlinspike where the Birds found it when they bough the place.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password?
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!