Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Which character that is in one book would you like to see more?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

mct16
#11 · Posted: 15 Feb 2019 19:16
Hergé was working on a story called Tintin et l'Alph-Art when he died in 1983. The story was a work-in-progress and Hergé had already drawn several pages of rough sketches and dialogues. These were collected and published in book form.

Martine Vandezande is a character who appears in this story.

When some crooks try to kill him, Tintin suspects Martine of warning them that he was investigating the suspicious death of her late boss.

She bursts into tears at these suspicions and Tintin decides that she is not to blame. Later he sees her getting involved with the guru of a suspect cult.

Several artists have completed the Alph-Art story and some have, apparently, suggested a budding romance between Tintin and Martine.

These were not authorized by Hergé's estate, and included a lot of speculation/ spurious material, provided by the artists involved, rather than being from Hergé, who left drafts and notes, but no complete storyline or script.

Personally, I think that Hergé was just using the character of Martine as a way of progressing the story.
Shivam302001
#12 · Posted: 16 Feb 2019 18:45
mct16
Hergé had also used Signora Castafiore to further the plot in Ottokar's Sceptre before she was incorporated as a main character in the series. So the same case could have happened to Miss Vandezande, at least I feel so.

RicardoOlcese
If you are a fan of the Signora and haven't read Alph-Art, then you simply must because she has a pretty important role to play in that adventure. Alph-Art is not another Calculus Affair, but a tale about art forgery.
But I won't say anything more if you haven't read the album yet.
SenorLegrand
#13 · Posted: 1 Dec 2020 02:05
I'd like to have seen more from the Bird brothers, it would have been interesting to learn more about how they came to acquire Marlinspike and maybe who owned it prior to them. Who had the ships, how did they fall into the hands of the Bird brothers and Mr Sakharine.

I always found them pretty interesting, especially Max Bird, he had a real sense of menace about him.

As for Marlinspike--there's a mystique about the place. I spent hours studying those panels of the cellars of Marlinspike in Unicorn and Rackham books, there's so much to see.
luca
#14 · Posted: 2 Dec 2020 22:42
I'd like to see more of Mike McAdams, the hotel detective from Tintin in America. His descriptions of the case are ridiculously specific and it's even better how Tintin believes in him at first.

I also love Philippulus the Prophet from The Shooting Star and Ramacharma from Blue Lotus, the guy who crosses knives in his body but can't sit on a pillow. The moments where these two characters appear were two of the ones that made me laugh out loud more as a child.
Furienna
#15 · Posted: 10 Jan 2021 22:57
snowybella:
I would like to see Vlipvliop from Soviets make a comeback

Except for Tintin himself and Snowy and maybe Rastapopoulos, no character in any of the three first adventures appears in more than one story.
luca:
I'd like to see more of Mike McAdams, the hotel detective

He seems to have been replaced by the Thom(p)sons.
mct16
#16 · Posted: 11 Jan 2021 19:54
SenorLegrand:
I'd like to have seen more from the Bird brothers, it would have been interesting to learn more about how they came to acquire Marlinspike and maybe who owned it prior to them. Who had the ships, how did they fall into the hands of the Bird brothers and Mr Sakharine.

Sir Francis Hadoque originally owned Marlinspike and had three sons, the eldest of whom should, in theory, have inherited it. I imagine that the three sons or their descendants moved out of the château and had to sell it at some stage.

That would explain why Captain Archibald Haddock had never heard of Marlinspike when he meets Tintin there in the course of Secret of 'The Unicorn'.

If the Hadoques did leave, then it follows that two of the model ships also left and would have been sold in order to raise money, which is how Sakharine and Tintin acquire them.
The third one remained in the attic in Marlinspike where the Birds found it when they bought the place.
OliBEL80
#17 · Posted: 30 Mar 2021 15:26
Either this, or there was a family feud at some point and one branch of the Hadoque family left the mansion for good, but ended up being the last branch of the family, and thus, being the legitimate heirs to Marlinspike.
Furienna
#18 · Posted: 6 May 2021 21:18
mct16:
I imagine that the three sons or their descendants moved out of the château and had to sell it at some stage.

That is where the movie from 2011 improved on the story, I think.
There, Captain Haddock was aware of his family's connection to the castle.
As a matter of fact, they had been able to keep it until Archibald's grandfather's days.
And it was mentioned that Archibald had been there as a kid.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!