Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

New release: Tintin in the Congo - English colour version

Page  Page 5 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 

Karaboudjan
#41 · Posted: 1 Oct 2005 09:46
I'm really surprised they've brought it out again. I thought Herge had wanted it buried (but then again, he said that about the Soviet adventure)...
jock123
#42 · Posted: 1 Oct 2005 11:07
Karaboudjan
I'm really surprised they've brought it out again. I thought Herge had wanted it buried

It’s not a case of bringinging it out again, as such - it’s never been out in English before, but it has always been available elsewhere, and is reputedly the biggest seller of all the books.

Hergé may have distanced himself over the years from some of the aspects of it which now appear questionable, but he never had it withdrawn or suppressed.

I believe that Soviets was reintroduced partly to counter the pirate editions which started to circulate.
Karaboudjan
#43 · Posted: 1 Oct 2005 18:05
And something I've been wondering about- does he still blow up the rhinoceros, or has that been substituted for the scenario in the Czech (correct me if I'm wrong) editions?
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#44 · Posted: 1 Oct 2005 18:10
In this thread, a post by GurraJG (fourth post down) suggests that the English version will use the later replacement scene from the Scandinavian editions.

Ed
heruursmith
#45 · Posted: 4 Oct 2005 00:24
That's a pity. I really like that exploding Rhino!
Tintin really was a naughty little scally-wag in those first two adventures wasn't he...
:D

Kam
Richard
UK Correspondent
#46 · Posted: 8 Oct 2005 13:16
According to The Tintin Shop's website, the book is now in stock. There's not been any update on the Amazon situation, presumably the Tintin Shop got some advance copies.
heruursmith
#47 · Posted: 8 Oct 2005 22:36
It's really rather cool that a "new " colourised Tintin title is appearing in English after all these years. The last time I remember feeling like this was when "The Blue Lotus" came out when I was a child...

I know the history of "Tintin Au Congo" and that it is such an old story with severe limitations, but it is great to feel that there won't be that glaring gap in one's english language Tintin collection after this book finally arrives!

It kind of is a minor 'part one' for "Tintin in America" with the diamond racket that Al Capone has going on there, so in some ways it is very similiar to "The Blue Lotus" being delayed in it's english release for so many years as well, because that title was also obviously the other half of a two part story.

I used to be quite upset when reading Tintin as a child knowing that this "Chang " character from "Tintin in Tibet" was someone from a presumably missing adventure (in english anyway). "Tintin in the Congo" being finally released in english in colour may be more of a historical curiosity than a satisfying and well illustrated read for most people, but it really is about time!

I'm still curious to see if the rhino scene is the toned down version or the one with Tintin's subtle attempt to kill it with the stick of dynamite!

Boum! (indeed)
;)

Kamael
Richard
UK Correspondent
#48 · Posted: 8 Oct 2005 22:52
heruursmith
I used to be quite upset when reading Tintin as a child knowing that this "Chang " character from "Tintin in Tibet" was someone from a presumably missing adventure (in english anyway).

I know what you mean - Al Capone's reference to his "diamond racket in the Congo" on the first page of Tintin in America puzzled me for years until I got a copy of Tintin and the World of Hergé and excitedly discovered there were other adventures I hadn't read.

"Tintin in the Congo" being finally released in english in colour may be more of a historical curiosity than a satisfying and well illustrated read for most people, but it really is about time!

I think the book, due to its contents, will gain a wider audience of people interested in it as a piece of social-historical commentary. Of course, we Tintin fans already knew the series was chock-full of that :o). And it'll be great to see some really superb Hergé artwork readily available in the UK (I love the redrawn early pages, upto the point where Tintin sets off in his Ford T).
heruursmith
#49 · Posted: 8 Oct 2005 23:14
Yes there is some really lovely subtle colouring and incredibly carefully drawn images there isn't there. Even the simplicity of the drawing which shows the ship coming into sight of land has a certain quality to it which speaks to me of foreign adventures in strange hot and humid lands...

The bigger half page drawings (e.g. of the tribe rowing down the river with Tintin in the boat and the later elephant scene) also have a certain graphic quality which I really admire. The later scenes with the cliff edge/crocodile battle also have the beginnings of Herge's great action/cinematic abilties shining through (well in my eyes anyway).

Kam
Richard
UK Correspondent
#50 · Posted: 8 Oct 2005 23:32
Definitely, there's some beautiful work in there that - for me at least - overshadows all of Tintin in America. My favourite moment graphically has to be when Tintin dives overboard in the early pages, I think the colouring is some of the best in the canon. The half-page images are really striking, especially the elephant one - it shows that Hergé worked in poster design for a period, he had a real ability to position elements in a drawing for maximum impact and clarity. And I love the waterfall scenes too, Hergé really conveyed the tension, and again it's superbly coloured.

Page  Page 5 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!