Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Picaros: Sponz and the Calculus Contradiction?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Jorgen221
#1 · Posted: 27 Oct 2005 05:35
I was just reading "Picaros" recently and noticed some thing. In the scene where Sponsz is watching Prof. Calculus on the screen, reading in the bathtub, he remarks, "A pity he didn't agree to work for us, but who knows, he may change his mind some day." And yet he was planning to have Calculus, along with Tintin and Haddock killed. It seems a strange remark to make.
Charles
#2 · Posted: 8 Nov 2005 10:01
Maybe Sponsz meant to covertly save Calculus from the attack on Tintin & Haddock and imprison him until he agreed to work for Tapioca et al.

Good point about this being an odd remark, though. Translation discrepancy?
snafu
#3 · Posted: 9 Nov 2005 03:45
Maybe he hopes that Calculus regrets it at the moment he dies. It's sort of that you'll-pay-for-this kind of thinking, when someone regrets upon dying...
tantan
#4 · Posted: 9 Nov 2005 07:19
I think Jorgen221 is right. It looks like a plot hole. It doesn't make sense that he hopes Calculus will change his mind one day and yet plan to blow him up with the others.
ClaroQuerido
#5 · Posted: 27 Dec 2005 19:18
Well maybe ha hadnt made up his mind as to what he was going to do yet.. or maybe forgot, like people do in real life
beinke
#6 · Posted: 28 Dec 2005 04:28
I find it pretty strange that Calculus was still wearing his hat, plus a robe while sitting in the bathtub reading?
stuart
#7 · Posted: 28 Dec 2005 09:45
"A pity he didn't agree to work for us, but who knows, he may change his mind some day." This could be read as 'One day soon Calculus will regret turning us down.'
lotus
#8 · Posted: 29 Jan 2006 00:35
Maybe he refers to Calculus reaction in the past in Calculus Affair
waveofplague
#9 · Posted: 13 Apr 2007 23:49

I find it pretty strange that Calculus was still wearing his hat, plus a robe while sitting in the bathtub reading?

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I too found it quite comical
tintinspartan
#10 · Posted: 14 Apr 2007 03:01
Sponsz wants Calculus for his doom machine plans that he failed to obtain during The Calculus Affair. He would be fairly disappointed for his motive as the plans has already been destroyed by accident by Haddock in the end of The Calculus Affair.

For Tintin's and Haddock's Case, they would be faced up in front of a firing squad if I can theorise from his plans and mood. The act where Tintin and Haddock rescued Caculus made Sponsz humiliated by Marshal Kurvi-Tasch. He was sent to San Theodoros to rearrange Tapioca's Security Police.

Luckily for us, Tintin was smart and tactical and with the help of Pablo, escaped from Sponsz's plans along with Haddock and Calculus. Well, Pablo may have been threatened by Sponsz has he sneaked into the palace. He may have told Sponsz on his intentions and Sponsz may have cooked up another plan to eliminate not only Tintin and friends, but Alcazar and this would destroy the Picaros movement.

Now, In the TV episode, Tintin was caught saying 'Now, Sponsz thinks we are dead, we can rescue our friends.' Just for humour, Haddock was caught saying 'From Plotters to Prisoners, from Ambush victims to terorist guerillas, what's next?' Well, I would want to comment a thing about Tintin's memory; he was forgetful about the Thompsons execution and Haddock had managed to remind him. If Tintin was alone, the Thompsons would have been dead by the end of the book.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!