Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other works by Hergé /

Cameos in Tintin: Do Jo, Zette & Jocko or Quick & Flupke cross-over?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

2Orangy4Crows
#1 · Posted: 28 Jan 2006 22:33
We all know that Quick & Flupke made a few cameo appearances in Tintin, most notably in The Seven Crystal Balls, but what about Jo, Zette & Jocko?
The only connection I can think of is the Maharaja of Gopal who appears in The Valley of the Cobras and is presumably the same person who gave Castafiore her famous emerald.
Are there any other crossovers with JZ&J? Are JZ&J and Tintin generally considered by Tintinologists to occupy the same universe?
John Sewell
#2 · Posted: 29 Jan 2006 01:26
2Orangy4Crows:
Are JZ&J and Tintin generally considered by Tintinologists to occupy the same universe?

There's a portrait of Captain Haddock on the wall of the Legrands' home on page 33 of Mr. Pump's Legacy, so either he's a friend of the family, or else they're Tintin (or Haddock!) fans!

Not quite the same thing, but both Tintin and J,Z&J leave the USA on the liner Normandie at the ends of America and The Secret Ray respectively.
There's no name on her prow in Tintin's case, but it's obviously the same ship - the angle used to depict her is identical.
Not sure that she counts though, as she was a real liner - there's a page here with some information and a nice photo so we can see how close Herge got!

For a long shot, how about the bad guy on page 30 of Mr. Pump's Legacy? The missing evil Thompson triplet? ;-)
Mikael Uhlin
#3 · Posted: 29 Jan 2006 10:46
2Orangy4Crows:
Are JZ&J and Tintin generally considered by Tintinologists to occupy the same universe?

Both Tintin in Tibet and The Valley of the Cobras starts in the French Alps in the (fictional) ski-resort Vargese.
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 29 Jan 2006 16:54
Well Jo, Zette and Jocko never make a cameo in a Tintin, adventure, but there are further crossovers to those already mentioned here.

We've already seen the main ones mentioned, but I have noticed and listed others on my own site.

Most are names cropping up in both stories. Many of the ships that you see in JZ&J crossover into Tintin adventures, such as the Washington, but they don't actually look the same.

In The Eruption of Karamako, Wang Chen-yee and Didi from The Blue Lotus, and Big Chief Keen-Eyed Mole and Browing Bison from Tintin in America are all listening to Zette's radio broadcast.

If you look on my website under Books there is a Tintin Trivia section on each book published.
[Broken link removed - site no longer exists].

Normally it is a Tintin reference sneaking into JZ&J rather than the other way round though.

Rik
Rocky
#5 · Posted: 29 Jan 2006 17:43
And of course Jo, Zette and Jocko used to appear on the back cover of every Tintin book, in the background, when it showed the billboard and island scene.
Mikael Uhlin
#6 · Posted: 8 Feb 2006 16:58
On page 13 of L'Affaire Tournesol/ The Calculus Affair (in the large panel with all the people gathering outside Moulinsart/ Marlinspike) there are two kids who look very much like Jo and Zette.
They're running in front of the VW Beetle in the right-hand corner, not far from Hergé himself.
Also in this picture are a couple of boys who may be Quick and Flupke and - interestingly - a boy-scout (standing before the gate). Could this be a reference to Totor?
midnightblueowl
#7 · Posted: 8 Feb 2006 17:39
The girl looks like Zette but the boy doesn't look like Jo - however the boy near the pram does.
I still can't find the Quick and Flupke characters.
Mikael Uhlin
#8 · Posted: 8 Feb 2006 19:02
Admittely, there are no clear indications of Quick and Flupke, merely a sense of likeness (like those two different-sized boys to the left at the ice-cream van).
The boy by the pram looks like Jo, but he also looks like Quick without his cap (but then again - Jo and Quick always look alike).
Another applicant for Flupke is the boy with the green balloon standing with his mother (?) between the pram and the ice-cream van. And behind this car are two more possible Jo and Zettes!

Anyway, it's likely that none of these actually are meant to be Jo, Zette, Quick or Flupke. It's probably just Hergé drawing kids in a similar way.
labrador road 26
#9 · Posted: 10 Feb 2006 15:28
I noticed that one of the newspapers on page 13 in The Calculus Affair has the name El Popol- (slightly obscured) which might be a hint to another of Hergé's book, Popol & Virginie?

Fascinating that Haddock subscribes to so many newspaper in so many languages. Or maybe they are not Haddock's, but just a view of how widespread the news was?

The guy with the ballons looks kind of similar to the masoner from Castafiore Emerald.

The blue car looks somewhat out of proportion, compared to, say, the VW Beetle, in my opinion.

Sorry to be a bit OT!
snowybella
#10 · Posted: 28 Feb 2017 11:43
I think the boy in the red shirt in The Seven Crystal Balls is Jo.
Quick always wears a beret and Flupke always wears that scarf, they are also smaller than those two boys so it must be Jo.

John Sewell:
how about the bad guy on page 30 of Mr. Pump's Legacy? The missing evil Thompson triplet? ;-)

And don't forget the police officer who also looks slightly like a Thom(p)son "twin" in the same book!
Two hare-brained officers, an evil bolwer-hatted one and one proper police officer - what a bunch!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!