Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Tintin: Mention in "Broken Sword 3 - The Sleeping Dragon" game

rastapopoulos
#1 · Posted: 8 Jun 2004 13:08
Sorry to be a geek, but has anyone else noticed the references to Tintin in the computer game, Broken Sword 3? I noticed that George Stobart (the main character) refers to his "Tintin book collection" twice.
Have you ever heard of a computer game character being a Tintin fan?
Obviously the makers are!
tybaltstone
#2 · Posted: 8 Jun 2004 13:18
I have played Broken Sword 1 and 2 and loved them enormously (especially 1) and immediately thought there must be some Tintin influence there.

Actually, one of the people behind the project, Steve Ince, is a pretty good comic strip illustrator himself. See his website at:

http://www.juniper-crescent.co.uk/
jockosjungle
#3 · Posted: 8 Jun 2004 13:55
Do you mean Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon? Can't seem to see a Broken Sword 3 on amazon, is the game any good?

Rik
rastapopoulos
#4 · Posted: 8 Jun 2004 14:18
Yeah. It's called Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon and is third in the Broken Sword trilogy.

If you like adventure games with interesting historical story-lines (Knights Templar, Glastonbury, Masons, etc.) you will enjoy this.
I enjoyed the first two as well, and was waiting in anticipation for the third, and very pleased when I heard George Stobart rattle on about his Tintin collection (twice)!
Diamond
#5 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 12:09
Thanks for the kind words, particularly about my strips.

I enjoy Tintin enormously, but not quite in the category to call myself a fan. Charles Cecil, the MD of Revolution, has always been a big fan, though. When we did the original two games we wanted to create game backgrounds that would match the quality of the Tintin backgrounds, but without being obvious rip-offs. The references in the third one were a nod to this.

Thanks, too, to Garen who pointed me at this thread.

Best wishes,
Steve
tybaltstone
#6 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 16:05
That's great - thanks for that little insight, Steve!
rastapopoulos
#7 · Posted: 11 Jun 2004 13:00
Wouldn't it be great if someone produced a decent Tintin computer game title?
Imagine the adventure format of Broken Sword, but with Tintin as the hero.
I own Tintin in Tibet for the MegaDrive (which is a nice platformer, but a little tough), and Destination Adventure on the Sony PlayStation, which is rubbish - Tintin can be killed by leaves and butterflys falling on his head!
Surely there is an international market for a high quality, big budget Tintin adventure game for adults - as, let's face it, most of us Tintin fans are - instead of these half baked cash-in games!
tybaltstone
#8 · Posted: 11 Jun 2004 14:49
Perhaps the film will be the catalyst for all kinds of big business marketing opportunities?

I think if I had a dream Tintin game it would be Broken Sword 1, but with Tintin instead of George Stobart - but I'm fairly happy with Stobart, so I suppose I've got it already! (Haven't played it in a while though..)
Jyrki21
#9 · Posted: 11 Jun 2004 18:49
I've been enjoying "Prisoners of the Sun," although I still have no clue what to do on the Pachacamac - and am still waiting for someone here to help!
pauldurdin
Moderator Emeritus
#10 · Posted: 12 Jun 2004 02:53
Wouldnt it be great if someone produced a decent Tintin computer game title?

The 'Tintin in Tibet' and 'Prisoners of the Sun' games by Infogrames are two of the best platform games I've seen. Some levels are easy, some are insanely difficult (tried the cliff-climbing level in Tibet, or the last level in Prisoners of the Sun?), but all of them fit in nicely with the general story.

Tintin on the Moon, which was a much earlier game by the same company, was also very engaging, though a little repetitive.

I havn't played Destination Adventure, though what I've seen of it looks pretty low-class.

Jyrki, I've been a bit lax on this but I'll answer your post on the Pachacamac if I can find the thread! :)

Paul

ps. Both the Infogrames games are playable right through from start to finish...I've done it once with each game. Just goes to show how addicted I was at one time... :p

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!