Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Destination Moon: the early unfinished version

midnightblueowl
#1 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 15:01
In 1947, Hergé planned to send Tintin to the Moon. In this version, the rocket would be sent from the USA by Calculus, in gratitude to the moon for saving his life (Prisoners of Sun). It would be a UNESCO mission, and Phostle (the professor from Shooting Star) would be used in place of Wolf. However Hergé changed his ideas to produce the version we know today.

[Moderator Note: Please take care not to make duplicate threads - the second thread you made has been removed.]
SingingGandalf
#2 · Posted: 27 Mar 2006 20:30
I don't think any of the designs from this work were ever published. Maybe in the Archives Hergé it is available. Although other scrapped designs like Le ThermoZéro were never published.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 28 Mar 2006 08:35
SingingGandalf
I don't think any of the designs from this work were ever published.

At least a couple of pages of roughs for the early version have been published - I think that they might be in the book of the Eighties space exhibition from Paris, but I’m not at home at the moment to check.

other scrapped designs like Le ThermoZéro were never published.

Those pages which Hergé drew for Le ThermoZéro are in Benoît Peeter’s Monde d’Hergé; work for some of those which Bob de Moor did for the J,Z&J re-vamp are in Bernard Tordeur’s biography of Bob.
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 28 Mar 2006 12:48
jock123 I think that they might be in the book of the Eighties space exhibition from Paris

Yes, the first page of it makes the frontispiece (front and back) of the exhibition book Ils Ont Marché Sur La Lune. I'm not aware that any other pages have been published though.

The same page also features in the Making of Tintin: Mission to the Moon book, with an English translation!
jock123
#5 · Posted: 28 Mar 2006 13:15
Harrock n roll
Yes, the first page of it makes the frontispiece (front and back) of the exhibition book

Ah, my mistake - I remembered it being on two pages, and assumed it was two sheets by Hergé; the old memory starts to fail…
tybaltstone
#6 · Posted: 28 Mar 2006 14:06
I presume this is the same sequence (with the Calculus radio interview) that also appears in 'Hergé & Tintin Reporters' by Goddin? In there it says the idea was dropped after a first trial page.

It was used as a limited edition greeting card (new year 1979) by Publiart.
Charles
#7 · Posted: 5 Apr 2006 22:19
jock123, Where is the reference to Le ThermoZero in Peeters's book? I cannot find it. Are the French and English editions of this book different?
jock123
#8 · Posted: 6 Apr 2006 10:41
Charles
Are the French and English editions of this book different?

I’m afraid I don’t know - I’ve only got a French edition.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#9 · Posted: 6 Apr 2006 13:31
Are the French and English editions of this book different?

Yes they are: the English version (all editions) has 161 pages, while the French re-edition (1993/2004) has 214/5 pages. I believe the original French 1983 edition had even more, though I don't have a copy to check.

Ed

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!