I think this:
Tintin 5'4"
Captian Haddock 6'2"
Thomson 5'9"
Thompson 5'9"
Prof. Calculus 5'7"
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 17 Apr 2006 05:04
Hmm. I think those heights sound quite plausible, apart from Tintin's. To me he looks no more than 5 feet tall in the comics. He's a short guy!
visionary6
#3 · Posted: 19 Apr 2006 00:19
I disagree. I think Tintin is at least 5'6". He's not a dwarf, just young. Calculus would then be about 5'8", because he is at least two inches taller than Tintin. Thompson and Thomson are at least 5'11", maybe six feet, because Haddock is not 5 inches taller than them.
thompson fan
#4 · Posted: 19 Apr 2006 13:55
I would like there to be a 7 feet tall villain. Maybe 7'1".
SingingGandalf
#5 · Posted: 19 Apr 2006 16:43
I wonder what Chang's height is, as he's about the size of Tintin. There is probably a way of finding out all of their heights by comparing them to objects in the books. Maybe I'll try and find out, though I'm not very good with measuring and maths.
castafiole
#6 · Posted: 23 Feb 2007 17:23
Good gravy, that makes Nestor about 6' 3", as he stands taller than the Captain by about an inch or so!

I'd guesstimate the following:
Tintin: 5' 5"
Captain: 5' 11"
Thompsons: about the same as the captain
Calculus: 5' 9"
Nestor: 6'

I think Rastapopoulos is shorter than Tintin, isn't that right?
ClaroQuerido
#7 · Posted: 24 Feb 2007 21:59
No way is Rastapopoulos shorter than Tintin!
Also, I disagree with whoever said Tintin is just young. Well, maybe in the earlier adventures, but to me he's fully grown but short.

Tintin: 161cm
Haddock: 179cm
Thompsons: 174cm
Calculus: 167cm
Rastapopoulos: 177cm
indigoxstar
#8 · Posted: 16 Mar 2007 19:56
In King Ottokar's Sceptre, Tintin looks a lot shorter than Prof. Alembick.
tintin_in_arcata
#9 · Posted: 19 Mar 2007 00:21
Hmmm... this is almost as hard as the Tintin character's ages, but I'd have to agree with Thompson Fan. Except that I think that Tintin is over 5'4".
Balthazar
#10 · Posted: 19 Mar 2007 12:29
The definitive way to discover the heights Hergé intended for his characters would be to use a picture from the books that has the characters positioned next to a real-life building. For instance, I think there's a frame in The Calculus Affair that shows Tintin and Haddock walking through the front door of the Cornavin Hotel. So all we have to do is get someone in Geneva to measure the height of that hotel doorway, and then we have a scale against which to measure the heights of the characters. We only need to establish the height of one of the characters this way, of course; once we've got the definative height of one, we can simply work out the rest comparitively from pictures in any of the books where they're standing next to each other.

Is there a Department of Tintinology research grant available for me to make an all-expenses trip to Geneva in order to measure that doorway? ;-)

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!