Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin to be honored by Dalai Lama

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 17 May 2006 23:13
Here's a recent article by the ICT about a ceremony organized next month in Brussels.
See http://www.savetibet.org/news/newsitem.php?id=974
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#2 · Posted: 17 May 2006 23:56
There's a heartening story! Like many, as the article suggests, my introduction to Tibetan culture as a youngster was through Tintin in Tibet. Tintin always stands up for the oppressed so it's particularly fitting that Hergé is honoured for his exposure of any injustice.

Ed
SingingGandalf
#3 · Posted: 18 May 2006 14:58
Ow, how I wish it was in London! Then I could go and see it. I've always thought though, that Tintin in Tibet should have been more anti-Chinese occupation. There is not one referance to it in the entire book (that I have seen anway)! The Chinese occupation is easily comparable to the Nazi occupation of France, except that it's lasted over 50 years. The Chinese have concentration camps in Tibet that are 4 times the size of Auschwitz! The Chinese government not only occupies Tibet, but also East Turkhestan, Manchuria (if you count that as a separate country) and half of Mongolia.
heruursmith
#4 · Posted: 19 May 2006 00:49
It warms my heart to see the Dalai Lama honouring Herge in this way. Tintin in Tibet was for many years my favourite Tintin book. The quality of the artwork was fantastic, but more importantly it has such a humanitarian feel to it, with such noble drives for all the characters. It sparked an interest in Tibet and Buddhism in me that is still strong today. It is interesting that in writing the story Herge used it to (somewhat) help him to deal with what was going on in his life at the time.

Was it writtenbefore or after the Chinese invasion? If it was written before the invasion then maybe that is why it doesn't mention it?

Kam
Richard
UK Correspondent
#5 · Posted: 19 May 2006 21:47
heruursmith
Was it writtenbefore or after the Chinese invasion? If it was written before the invasion then maybe that is why it doesn't mention it?

It was written after; the invasion began in October 1950, and Tintin in Tibet began serialisation on the 17th September 1958. I'm a bit unsure as to when Hergé began to write it proper - Au Tibet Avec Tintin states that he was still considering a story returning to North America as late as November 1957.

It's interesting to note that the story, which features no political leanings whatsoever, appeared during one of the most tumultuous periods of the 20th century in Tibet. In March '59 a group of government ministers renounced the Chinese rule and the Tibetan people filled the streets, prepared for battle against the Chinese troops. The Dalai Lama was forced to flee on the 17th of March, arriving in India fourteen days later, and on the 20th the Chinese began to shell the Summer Palace, the Norbulingka. The fighting continued - including the bombing of the sacred Jokhang, where 10,000 Tibetans were sheltering - and after three days of violence, 10-15,000 Tibetans lay dead.

That Hergé's work was used to draw attention to this atrocity and to promote the cause of the Tibetan people can only be a good thing. Tintin always fought for the oppressed, and I'm sure Hergé would be proud to be honoured in such a way.
2Orangy4Crows
#6 · Posted: 2 Jun 2006 23:11
Article on the ceremony with brief video of Fanny Rodwell from BBC News website:
tybaltstone
#7 · Posted: 3 Jun 2006 21:45

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!