Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Wanted: Tintin and Alph Art

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

mlevin
#1 · Posted: 15 Jun 2004 15:16
I read an article in the Washington Post that says U.S. residents can purchase Tintin and Alph Art on the Internet. However, I've been unable to do so on either Amazon.com or Barnes&Noble.com.

My daughter loves Tintin and I'd love to purchase the book for her. Does anybody know how to do so?
Jyrki21
#2 · Posted: 16 Jun 2004 03:53
Hmmm... I own a copy in English and have seen it in a number of Canadian bookstores, but according to Last Gasp Publishing, it's no longer available in English. ( http://www.lastgasp.com/d/5253/ ).

I'm skeptical, though... I've just seen it in too many places.

If you bid quickly, there's a copy going on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3952&item=2250190796&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

(I've never seen that cover before!)

This one's cheaper, but has more time left: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64185&item=6905318742&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

(Haven't seen that cover either... mine looks like the French one).

A-HA! I knew I could find one in English:
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/whs/go.asp?ISBN=1405214481&DB=220

Also here's one from the Canadian company Chapters/Indigo:
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/item.asp?N=35&R=1814732&act=A03&Item=978140521448&Section=books&Catal og=Books&Lang=en&mscssid=D1N40VBTA4JR9K2VUA5BCN7C2WA7AP7C&WSID=2206A83D9A5394F843F5B0834F0093E9B96850 15

They claim they're "temporarily" out of stock... this'll probably be the best deal if they get more, though.

Hope that helps! If all else fails, the French version still abounds...

edit: There's also a book store here in Toronto, right near where I work, which calls itself "The World's Biggest Bookstore." I'd be happy to have a look if you'd like.
advnarayan
#3 · Posted: 16 Jun 2004 03:58
hi,
I dont think Alph Art (new edn.) is available through amazon.com- better u try amazon.co.uk- or the publishers at egmont.co.uk
hope u can secure a copy, I am still waiting for a copy to reach India
narayan
jock123
#4 · Posted: 16 Jun 2004 08:29
Hi Melvin!
There are two versions of the book in English: the first was published about ten years ago, and was an expensive blue-covered thing with the artwork separate from the text, which came in a little booklet.

To celebrate the 75th anniversary, Casterman have put together a new edition, which is being published world-wide in many languages. It is the same size as a normal Tintin book, and has a gold coloured cover; it also has some recently found sketches, not in the earlier version.

However, there seems to be some unexplained delay in getting the English language version into the shops, so although amazon.co.uk have had it in their catalogue for some time, they can’t actually send you a copy yet.

Neither book is a finished work - they are collections of Hergé’s notes, sketches and doodles, up to the point he stopped working due to ill health: sadly nobody knew how he would have ended the story, so it has been left incomplete. If you see a completed version on the internet, it is not an official book, but a pirate edition done by a fan.

Hope this helps!
jockosjungle
#5 · Posted: 16 Jun 2004 09:42
Yeh there's already a thread on the delayed edition, apparently it should be with us the end of June

Rik
mlevin
#6 · Posted: 16 Jun 2004 18:35
Thank you all for your help. From what you all are saying, I think I'll just have to wait until the new English edition comes out. According to the Post article, the new addition has a bunch of "extras," including early sketches and notes from the artist.

Jrki21, thanks especially for your offer to look in the local bookstore. I think it's pretty safe to say that if they do have a copy, it's not the edition I'm looking for.
Jyrki21
#7 · Posted: 16 Jun 2004 19:39
Jrki21, thanks especially for your offer to look in the local bookstore. I think it's pretty safe to say that if they do have a copy, it's not the edition I'm looking for.

Do you only want the newer edition?
GurraJG
#8 · Posted: 16 Jun 2004 19:50
Here is the new edition on amazon.co.uk, but it seems that they do not have it yet.

And here is the new French edition from amazon.fr.

-Gustav
mlevin
#9 · Posted: 24 Jun 2004 14:42
Jyrki21,

Yes, I only want the new edition, because (as I understand it) the new edition has a bunch of added material, such as Herge's margin notes, and sketches showing how he developed the material. I think it will be great for my daughter to see the artistic process. I'm hoping it will inspire her not only to read and enjoy more Tintin and other "graphic novels," but give her insight into her own work as well.
jock123
#10 · Posted: 24 Jun 2004 14:57
Interesting idea, Melvin - I hope you aren’t expecting too much from the additional material, though, as it is very hard to make out what is going on from the doodles and notes. But as you say, it is interesting to see the artistic process in a variety of stages.

Me, when I was younger I just thought Hergé drew thing as they appeared in the book, which lead to much frustration in my attempts to draw Tintin. I didn’t know about roughs then...

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!