Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

English editions re-lettered?

Page  Page 4 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Richard
UK Correspondent
#31 · Posted: 9 Mar 2006 18:02
yamilah
Do these long Z's appear all over the book, or in the Syldavian speech bubbles only?

Throughout the book - or at least, where a Z is present ;). A flick through some other titles shows it's the standard character for Z.

This long-tailed Z, or yogh, in Tintin- where's it come from? If the font's supposed to be based on the French edition's lettering then I'm obviously looking at the wrong books, since it's a small z (like that one) throughout.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#32 · Posted: 9 Mar 2006 19:52
This long-tailed Z, or yogh, in Tintin- where's it come from?

I'm similarly confused by it; I have all the French editions and don't recall seeing it anywhere in those. Though it would take me quite a while to re-check thoroughly...

Ed
jock123
#33 · Posted: 13 Mar 2006 15:47
Richard
If the font's supposed to be based on the French edition's lettering then I'm obviously looking at the wrong books, since it's a small z (like that one) throughout.

I think that there are various "hands" at work in the French canon, so there isn't one definitive version, as there has been for most of the "standard" English books.

Most obviously, the colour Congo has been lettered in English in a facsimile of the lettering used in the current French edition, but neither of these looks like the Ottokar sample above, nor is it the same font found in the new Tibet.

I think we are looking at a composite font, which has probably been designed to echo features of the styles found in the French books and others, but not specifically one which has already been used.
marsbar
#34 · Posted: 8 Apr 2006 06:00
Posts regarding to where to purchase books with original lettering have been moved to Tintin Collectibles forum - see "Wanted: Tintin hardbacks with original lettering."
edcharlesadams
#35 · Posted: 13 Sep 2006 18:41
To update everyone: I called into the same Ottokar's earlier today, and they had new re-lettered editions of Tintin in America, Cigars of the Pharaoh, The Black Island, The Secret of the Unicorn, and Land of Black Gold, as well as the Tintin in Tibet first spotted back in February.

All had the twenty-four English books listed on the back, with to Sydney appended to Flight 714. The Broken Ear was still given as The Broken Ear. For all of them the lettering on the spine was bolder and slightly larger, and the translations appeared (from memory) to be identical to previous editions.

Ed
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#36 · Posted: 13 Sep 2006 20:29
Just to add something: I've seen a re-lettered edition of The Calculus Affair, in addition to the albums listed above.
yamilah
#37 · Posted: 13 Sep 2006 20:53
edcharlesadams
For all of them the lettering on the spine was bolder and slightly larger, and the translations appeared (from memory) to be identical to previous editions.

Please do all these new re-lettered books hold the long-z's originally noticed in Tintin in the Tibet?

And did anyone spot French versions with the new typography? (I didn't).
edcharlesadams
#38 · Posted: 13 Sep 2006 20:57
do all these new re-lettered books hold the long-z's originally noticed in Tintin in the Tibet?

I would assume so, yes, the font appeared identical to that used in Tibet, though I didn't consciously see any z's in the short time I was there.

Ed
Richard
UK Correspondent
#39 · Posted: 16 Sep 2006 20:24
I saw quite a few of the re-lettered books today; I think perhaps the full series has been prepared and shops are receiving them when they run out of stock of the older copies. I haven't found a copy of The Broken Ear yet, so I don't know what it's called.

Curiously I found a hardback edition of Tintin in Tibet with the bolder type on the spine (like the new books), yet the original lettering inside and the old-style back cover.
edcharlesadams
#40 · Posted: 16 Sep 2006 20:49
I found a hardback edition of Tintin in Tibet with the bolder type on the spine (like the new books), yet the original lettering inside and the old-style back cover.

Yes that is curious - on my bookshelf, the new editions of Congo and Alph-Art have noticeably bolder titles on the spines than on the older hardback editions of the other books. My guess is that the change was made to the spines an edition or two earlier than to the text.

Ed

Page  Page 4 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!