Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintinologist.org /

[Completed] Suggestion: forums restructure?

jock123
#1 · Posted: 22 Jun 2004 14:01
I was wondering whether the forums (fora?) might be restructured a little?

The “Curious” forum is a catch-all for so many things, that I wonder if it might be better broken into a section on the books, a section on movies and on Tintin in the media, a section on news/ events, a section on Hergé himself, perhaps one on Hergé-related/inspired BD, the “ligne claire”, and comics (EP Jacobs, Bob de Moor etc), and then maybe a misc. section on the World of Tintin.

That way the “Off Topic” section might become a sort of community forum, for things that the group might want to talk about or discuss which aren’t Tintin, rather than just things which can’t be placed in the existing sections.

With a broader selection of niches for people to post in, it might encourage more people to start new threads, rather than getting side-tracked on existing one; I have read so many interesting posts, and learned a great deal even in the short time I have been here that I know there are a lot of people out there with good things to say, and interesting questions to ask.

What do people think - would it be helpful?
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 22 Jun 2004 14:25
I can see both sides to be honest...

On the one hand a Tintin forums only has one forum for stuff about Tintin, perhaps we could break it up a bit, but then again we don't have that many threads open on Tintin at any one time.

I mean right now we have one thread on the movies, do we need a whole forum?

I'm also a member of other forums, and when someone accidently posts in the wrong place, they just get a bunch of posts telling them it's in the wrong place and a moderator needs to move it.

But it might also encourage new threads, I've joined in some great discussions and inadvertedly started some without realising it (does wolff die?)

It would be nice to have more off topic stuff as well, to discuss other events outside Herge with a great bunch of people such as Euro 2004 (Come on England!)

Rik
jock123
#3 · Posted: 22 Jun 2004 15:22
Well, my thought is that we have - for example - one very long, unweildy thread on the movies: we could easily have several threads on casting, story, the old movies, movie adaptation, the cartoon films, the BelVision series, the 1940s stop-motion Crab, Stephen Spielberg, the Ellipse-Nelvana cartoons, live action versus animation, the DVDs, Tintin et Moi, the radio series, Tintin storybook records - any sort of media; it isn't really encompassed by the "Curious" heading...
Jyrki21
#4 · Posted: 22 Jun 2004 16:40
Don't know about you guys, but I tend simply to use the list of latest threads, not the forum headings at all. So it'd make no difference to me.
pauldurdin
Moderator Emeritus
#5 · Posted: 23 Jun 2004 09:53
Jyrki21 wrote:
...but I tend simply to use the list of latest threads...

The problem with this is that if you don't check the forums every single day you might miss something as the 'latest threads' list only shows a certain amount. It's happened to me a few times.

Apart from that, I have to agree with Jock123 on the forums -- it seems silly for almost everything to be under 'Curious about Tintin?'. It's up to admin in the end, but I'd like to see a few more categories to post under.

Paul
Jyrki21
#6 · Posted: 23 Jun 2004 14:10
The problem with this is that if you don't check the forums every single day you might miss something as the 'latest threads' list only shows a certain amount. It's happened to me a few times.

Hasn't been a problem for me, but if it becomes one, I'll live. ;)
admin
Administrator
#7 · Posted: 25 Jun 2004 07:30
Many thanks for your suggestion, Simon. Thanks to the others for their valuable feedback. I'll look at re-organising the board.
---

UPDATE:
The forums have been restructured! :)
I think most of the posts are filed in the right places now, but if you see a post in the wrong forum, please let me know (if you are a moderator, please feel free to move the post to an appropriate forum).

This topic is closed.