Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Valuation: Tintin and the Golden Fleece, 1961 edition

MrCutts
#1 · Posted: 1 Nov 2006 16:41
Tintin and the Golden Fleece, hardback English-language edition, good condition, published 1961 by Methuen.
Can anyone give an estimated value please?
The assistants at the Tintin shop in Convent Garden didn't know it existed when I asked them some months back.
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 1 Nov 2006 19:19
About £60, abebooks is a good guide. Might get lucky on ebay and it go for more

R
MrCutts
#3 · Posted: 1 Nov 2006 20:05
Thanks for the help jocko.
Hmmm, £60 isn't too bad I guess, but I hoped that it would be worth a bit more because I thought it was quite a rarety.
Maybe I'm wrong about that - is The Blue Oranges rarer than this one?

Actually, I've had the book 21 years and bought it for a pound on a stall in Romford Market, so anything above a quid is a bonus!

In all those years I haven't even read it or seen the film.

Not sure I would sell it but if I were to sell I think you're right, a big bidding war on eBay would probably be the way to go.

Thanks again.
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 1 Nov 2006 23:28
Ebay can inflate a price or leave you sorely dissapointed, its a gamble I suppose.

There are very few Tintin books that are worth selling IMO, especially if you are a fan. As none of the english language ones are worth that much

R
MrCutts
#5 · Posted: 1 Nov 2006 23:59
oh right, cheers jocko. Ebay is def a gamble. Yeh I am a fan thats why I probably wouldn't sell it. But was interested in its value. The chances of finding these books of the films seem pretty slim so am glad I have one. I started reading them at a very young age about 33 years ago I remember the Golden Fleece book at my local library but I never got it out. So when I saw it 12 years later I had to have it.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 2 Nov 2006 09:37
jockosjungle
About £60, abebooks is a good guide.

I’d be as cautious with abebooks as I am with eBay in regards to pricing - there are just as many well over-expensive items there as on auction sites, and in fact eBay is in some ways a more democratic process, as the cost is what you want to pay, whereas abebooks just lists what dealers want. Of course, you may also pick up a bargain, but it pays to shop around.

That said, Rik, your £60 figure sounds quite possible!
MrCutts
#7 · Posted: 2 Nov 2006 14:52
I have been watching a recent eBay auction of the Tintin and the Blue Oranges book with interest, trying (perhaps wrongly) to gauge a price for my Golden Fleece book.

I'd say that it is probably worth more to a Tintin fan than it is to a dealer who wants to make a profit.
It's at £132 at the moment, and with 3 days to go it will probably creep up.
I was still wondering whether The Blue Oranges book is the rarer of the two?

I remember I did see The Golden Fleece valued at about £60 somewhere on the net, but that was about 3 years ago.

I don't suppose you can really put a price (perhaps a guide price maybe) on these books as is it all down to what someone wants to pay for it in the end.

Would anyone disagree or agree with that?

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!