Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

The Phantom: Sy Barry

pauldurdin
Moderator Emeritus
#1 · Posted: 28 Feb 2004 09:12
An artist whose work I very much enjoy is Sy Barry.
Although I've only read his Phantom renditions, they are almost all of top quality (the stories are often stupid, but he wasn't to blame for that). Examining some of his work from different periods (he drew The Phantom for 34 years), it's easy to see how his style changed, from the rather Wilson McCoy-ish[1] first few stories, to his own action-rich clear artwork.

In fact, I'd rate Sy Barry's art (in The Phantom, at least) as highly as Hergé's, although it's different in many ways.

Anyway, just thought I'd bring up someone else for discussion! :)

Paul

[1] Wilson McCoy drew the Phantom for about 20 years, but his artwork is nowhere near Sy Barry's in quality. However, it easily beats that of Ray Moore, who was the original Phantom artist. Visit http://ipcomics.bengling.net/phantom-classics/index.htm to compare them. :)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!