Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Cigars of the Pharaoh: Changes in the Czech edition?

Ranko
#1 · Posted: 20 Dec 2006 16:19
Well, Kiwichick and I have just spent a rather pleasant 3 days in the city of Prague (highly recommend it) and whilst we were there walked into a bookshop to buy magazines and suchlike, and there in the corner was the familiar rocket stuffed with... well two books anyway! So I had to buy 'Faraonovy doutniky' which is The Cigars of the Pharaoh.
It's published by Albatros. Have we any Czech speakers in the forum? I discovered two interesting things as well. On page one the name of the ship has changed from MS ISIS to MS EPOMEO. Is there any relevance to this, or just translaters artistic licence? Similarly, the route Tintin takes is no longer a Mediterranean voyage ending with "through the Straits of Gibralter then home, but a map of Asia showing his final destination as Shanghai. Is this the Lotus connection?

Thanks for any answers.
Ranko
yamilah
#2 · Posted: 20 Dec 2006 16:48
Ranko
the route Tintin takes is no longer a Mediterranean voyage
This matches Hergé's original version Les Cigares du Pharaon, the book originally published just before Le Lotus Bleu!
Ranko
#3 · Posted: 22 Dec 2006 16:40
Thanks yamilah. What other editions is this map change seen in?
Ranko
#4 · Posted: 22 Dec 2006 19:18
My Egmont 3-in-1 shows the Mediterranean map. I don't believe this is the latest version though. Also my '70s Methuen shows the Med.
labrador road 26
#5 · Posted: 23 Dec 2006 01:33
Some Swedish editions have the Mediterranean map as well, but Tintin talks about going east.

Moderator Note: There's a more thorough conversation about the map and how and whyit was changed here:
Cigars of the Pharaoh: The trip to Shanghai?. Further discussion about it should be directed to that thread, please!
The Tidy Tintinologist Team
Alexandra
#6 · Posted: 6 Nov 2021 14:15
Ranko
The name of the vessel that inspired the Epomeo was the Victoria.
She was ideed sailing from Port Said to Shanghai :)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!