Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin Characters Series by Michael Farr - May 2007

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#11 · Posted: 28 Jan 2007 00:40
Interesting! According to objectiftintin.com, these books you're referring to, Richard, were published in September 2005, and do indeed appear identical:

(image link broken)

So a couple of unanswered questions remain:

- Are the English publications due in May simply translations by Farr of these French originals?
- Are there still six more due out, to complete the series of twelve?

In light of Richard's post I'd say that the copy thmthm saw on eBay was likely to be the France Loisirs version of the Müller book.

Ed
jockosjungle
#12 · Posted: 28 Jan 2007 19:36
At the Tintin Festival Michael Farr talked about the book he was writing, no mention of translating one. Talked how he'd been sitting for six months researching it.

R
thmthm
#13 · Posted: 29 Jan 2007 07:47
Yup - that's what the book looked like... With a sketch of Müller from what I believe was Land of Black Gold.
edcharlesadams
#14 · Posted: 2 Mar 2007 18:51
The artwork for the sixth book, on Professor Calculus, is now online.

Ed
edcharlesadams
#15 · Posted: 27 Mar 2007 22:11
The mystery deepens!

Amazon.co.uk are now listing a book entitled Tintin & Co for release in September. So far the only detail is that it will be a paperback. Could this be a compilation of the hardback books released in May?

Ed
edcharlesadams
#16 · Posted: 10 Apr 2007 18:25
More details on the Tintin & Co book from WHSmith.

It will be 128 pages, to be published on September 3rd, and WHSmith are selling it at £18.99. The blurb is as follows:

Tintin & Cº is the perfect book to celebrate Hergé's centenary. Michael Farr has written numerous books on Tintin and Herge as well as translating several others into English. His writing style is engaging and easy to read, with several moments of shared humour as readers will recall their favourite moments from the stories.
Illustrations, facts and Hergé's early sketches provide a remarkable insight into the fictional world of Tintin and into the real world time in which Hergé was writing.
As well as covering the main characters - Tintin, Snowy, Captain Haddock, Professor Calculus, Thomson and Thompson and Bianca Castafiore - this book also includes chapters on the Arab princeling Abdullah, chess-loving General Alcazar, the villainous Doctor Müller, Tintin's mortal enemy Rastapopoulos, the insurance salesman Joylon Wagg who is always turning up at unexpected moments and the orphan T'chang.
This title is guaranteed to be a success with fans of the quiff-headed journalist - definitely something to read in front of a warm fire, in a big comfortable settee.

Ed
edcharlesadams
#17 · Posted: 30 Apr 2007 22:56
I received all six in the series today, and am pleased to report that they are wonderful little books.

The pictures are well reproduced and Farr's text (though I've only had a chance to skim it as yet) is pitched perfectly. They contain many rare photos from Hergé's archive (and plenty of Hergé himself), and each ends with a few pages of sketches for each character which are fascinating and I don't believe have been published before. I'm also pleased to say that the Castafiore book has the quote "Ah, my beauty past compare!" on the cover, and Snowy's is "Let's hope I'm in time!".

All in all, a very worthwhile purchase for now, and I eagerly await the Tintin & Co book in September.

Ed
Rocky
#18 · Posted: 27 May 2007 17:42
I have some answers!

Are the English publications... simply translations by Farr of these French originals?

I asked Mr Farr about these books when he gave a talk at the London Cartoon Museum last Thursday. He confirmed that he wrote Tintin & Co a couple of years ago, it was bought by a French book club which wanted to serialize it character by character, monthly, in French. That's why it appeared in French first. Now Egmont has published six of the character books.

Are there still six more due out, to complete the series of twelve?

He only mentioned Egmont publishing six, plus Tintin & Co.

Amazon.co.uk are now listing a book entitled Tintin & Co for release in September... Could this be a compilation of the hardback books released in May?

Yes, however Mr Farr was keen to stress that Tintin & Co will contain material that's not in the six character books, and vice versa.
edcharlesadams
#19 · Posted: 5 Jul 2007 21:12
Amazon.co.uk now has the cover design for Tintin & Co:

Ed
Tintinrulz
#20 · Posted: 16 Sep 2007 05:10
I'll have to get Tintin and Cº and The Adventures of Hergé. They sound really good!

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!