Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin and the Picaros: In defence of Tintin's trousers

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

jock123
#21 · Posted: 15 Oct 2004 08:20
Hmmm...
Looks like jeans with turn-ups and cuban heels!.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#22 · Posted: 15 Oct 2004 17:16
I'm not sure if he was going to wear those turned-up jeans all the way through the book; in the sketch the image is taken from, he's in Marlinspike Hall's garage (which we've never seen) having just been out on his moped/motorcycle. I suppose turned-up jeans would be easier to ride a bike wearing than flares.
tintinspartan
#23 · Posted: 19 Apr 2007 11:01
Well, I was thinking about Tintin and his old style trousers(is it denim jeans?) that he wears in some of the animated movies and Tintin and The Picaros. I think Tintin adopted it because he was out of fashion with his plusfours and adopted jeans just to be mordern. Well, I beleive Herge choose to change Tintin from plusfours to jeans because Tintin was out of style to the puublic audience back in the late 60's and early 70's.

You see, the fashion of teens back then were out of their heads; sideburns, jeans, hippies and the peace logo. Maybe Herge want to let Tintin go a little bit. Well, i wonder if you all like his appearence with the jeans and sideburn or the plusfours.

Moderator Note: Moved post to this existing thread.
Tintinrulz
#24 · Posted: 19 Apr 2007 15:38
I hate the sideburns and the flares because they make the album so dated! I mean seriously his plus-fours were pretty much timeless and they were taken from him.
I prefer the plus-fours but if it was between the flares and the turned-up jeans, it would be the jeans every time.
Balthazar
#25 · Posted: 19 Apr 2007 16:51
Of all Tintin's non-plus-four trousers, I think those black trousers he wears for much of Land of Black Gold are the most aesthetically pleasing, as is that blue jersey he wears with it (chunkier and deeper blue than his usual blue pullover). However, thinking about it, this outfit is a bit similar to Captain Haddock's, so if Tintin wore it in other books, it might make the two characters look too much like a matching pair. (Tintin only wears this outfit in the middle section of Black Gold, for which Haddock is absent.) Now my brain's started to wonder how Haddock would look wearing Tintin's plus-four outfit, so I'll stop rambling.
waveofplague
#26 · Posted: 20 Apr 2007 00:01
I always thought there was something "different" about the way Tintin looked in PICAROS, and now I know what it is.

I don't like the new trousers either. But Tintin has grown up a lot since the days of blowing up rhinos in the jungle and chasing the mafia in Chicago. Herge was trying to modernize Tintin's look and add to his maturity without having Tintin actually get older.

Regarding Tintin's hair: I'd much rather believe that he does his hair up into that little cowlick every day when he wakes up. That look is popular on teenage boys today and it seems to have "come back" into popularity from decades ago (or so my parents tell me). I wonder if they had anything akin to hair gel back then, because I suspect he'd need some to create that hairstyle (does it have a name)??

A side note: Today I encountered Haddock saying "Harrock and roll!" to Castafiore for the first time and I burst out laughing.
Tintinrulz
#27 · Posted: 20 Apr 2007 02:41
Not really. Tintin's quiff of hair is a lot more pronounced than anything I've seen in real life. The added bonus is now that it's possible (since we have stronger hair gel's nowadays).
waveofplague
#28 · Posted: 20 Apr 2007 03:14
Well tintinrulz, you're an Aussie, so perhaps you and I have witnessed different phenomena in male hairstyles. The Tintin-cowlick style is pretty popular over here in the States. I did spend 6 months in Australia (Adelaide, studying) but I don't know how Australian men style their hair. Anyway, it is popular over here; it may not be as popular Down Under.

(BTW, I do have very fond memories of Australia; I was there for half of 2004!!! It was quite a memorable experience...)
Isabel a marche sur la lune
#29 · Posted: 20 Apr 2007 05:37
I think we should all just be glad Tintin wasn't wearing the crazy polyester disco pants! God; flared, pleated, baby blue, how horrible would it be!! I think i'd disown him! i dunno, i think the pants in Picaros make him look a little more manly (in a good way) as well as a little less European (as in he doesn't look nearly as out-of-place).

I have many guy friends who like to wear really tight skinny jeans (alot like i wear, actually!), imagine tintin being super stylish with his super low-rise tight jeans! It makes me laugh.

Maybe it's because im morally opposed to high-waisted pants, but the fact that Tintin wore his pants up there has always bothered me! It also makes him look shorter. But obviously, it was the style. I always loved the yellow Oxford shirt, though; very sharp!
jock123
#30 · Posted: 20 Apr 2007 11:31
waveofplague
I wonder if they had anything akin to hair gel back then

These are the questions which make me feel old...!!
There have been hair-styling products for decades, even centuries; macassar oil (which is why old chairs had an "anti-macassar" cloth over the back to stop hair-oil staining the upholstery), pomades and of course possibly the most famous of all and still available today: Brylcreem ("...a little dab'll do ya!", as the advertising jigle used to go)!
When Hergé and Tintin "arrived back" from Russia to Brussels, at the conclusion of Land of the Soviets, a tin of Brylcreem or similar accompanied them, so that Tintin could have running repairs made to his quiff along the way!

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!