Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q234: What is it (part II)?

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

tuhatkauno
#1 · Posted: 28 May 2007 11:28
What is "Persian milk"?

This is Tintin Q, no extra info is needed. Persian milk can be spotted in many albums. The answer is one word. Please, give an explanation and album/pg. The answer is then easy to check.

good luck

saunaman
toydreamer
#2 · Posted: 28 May 2007 12:05
Oil.

Probably wrong, but I'd better get it in before i snooze. I'm guessing it's oil as in - Oil flows like milk in Persia. A page reference for oil would be page 95 in the Shooting Star when they fill up the ships with oil. Not holding much hope.

(Whoops - i know what it is now... about one minute later, but not going to edit my answer - except for this bit - good luck all.)
tuhatkauno
#3 · Posted: 28 May 2007 12:23
Thanks for a quick answer, toydreamer, you and I are bit busypants, i like it. :)

The answer I'm looking for is very exact. Oil is this time too far-fecthed, as you obviously recognized, toydreamer. No old Swedish proverbs or Scottish sayings are needed. I think everybody will understand my judgement when somebody finds the right answer.

The Q is still unanswered.
Balthazar
#4 · Posted: 28 May 2007 13:32
Persian milk is an old word for yoghurt (yoghurt having come to the west from the Middle East). I can't think of any instances in Tintin where a food stuff is unambiguously identified as being yoghurt, but I've discovered that the Persian/Farsi word for plain yoghurt is "mast". And there are plenty of masts in Tintin — in all the adventures involving ships. Perhaps the most significant masts are those of the Unicorn models, which contain the scrolls.

So my answer is:

Persian milk = yoghurt = mast (in Persian).

A specific example of a mast featuring in both text and picture can be found on page eight of The Secret of the Unicorn, but as I said, there are many others.

My only worry is that this doesn't sound quite as straightforward and exact as you've said the answer will be!
tuhatkauno
#5 · Posted: 28 May 2007 14:05
Thanks for an answer balthazar, you did lot of work, i appreciate that.

Persian milk is an old word for yoghurt

I know, but i can't see yoghurt in many places.

Persian milk = yoghurt = mast (in Persian).

I tried to say that no extra info is needed, just read Tintin. I didn't know the whole connection. Now i'm gonna reject your answer, it is too far-fetched. Don't use Wikipedia, use Tintin is my motto. I'm sorry Balthazar.

I'm ready to discuss the judgement if you are unhappy, but i wish you would understand my point of view. I emphasize the answer is very exact. And very Tintin. You don't need any information of Oriental cooking or things like that, just Tintin is enough.

The Q is unanswered
Balthazar
#6 · Posted: 28 May 2007 14:22
Don't worry - I'm not unhappy with your judgement at all, tuhatkauno. I said myself that my answer didn't seem straightforward enough, and I'm very glad to hear that your actual answer is going to be stronger, neater, and more directly Tintin-related than mine!

"Don't use Wikipedia, use Tintin," is a good motto — for life, no doubt, as well as for this question. I still can't think what the right answer could be though; I'm looking forward to seeing someone else crack it.
tuhatkauno
#7 · Posted: 28 May 2007 15:01
Thanks for understanding Balthazar, I won't let you down this time. The answer is neat, strong and 100% Tintin-related. :)
toydreamer
#8 · Posted: 28 May 2007 23:22
Well roll me over and call me Sargent Schultz.

I like the tough ones. :)
tuhatkauno
#9 · Posted: 29 May 2007 08:33
Hello brothers and sisters in Tintin

I have to go to work, so I give the clue now instead of giving it in the evening. I have many possibilities, very peculiar clues, but I'll choose an easy one.

I give you an album and pages where Persian milk can be spotted. For example, you can see it in Castafiore Emerald on pages 28-29 (pg 30-31, in 3 in 1).

Now I need just the answer with an explanation, this is not a quessing competition.

af Tuhatstjärna :)
yamilah
#10 · Posted: 29 May 2007 13:47
I guess Persian milk is a bleaching agent obtained from some Middle East clay dissolved in water, but I couldn't find any link about it.

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

This topic is closed.