Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Land of the Soviets: Cover design?

alerei
#1 · Posted: 12 Jun 2007 11:05
Can anyone confirm that the cover of Tintin in the Land of the Soviets used nowadays for the English editions (with St. Basil's Cathedral) is the same cover that was used for the first 1930-edition in French?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 13 Jun 2007 12:20
It is more or less the same, give or take that the image is slightly repositioned or resized to allow for the difference in the binding, and the lettering is obviously re-done. You can see the image in the Chronologie, Volume 1, p. 324, together with an earlier study for the cover, which is also more or less the same.

Any particular reason for asking?
alerei
#3 · Posted: 13 Jun 2007 12:47
I am writing an essay on Land of the Soviets in a historical context, and was just curious, as the front is coloured and so on, unlike the rest of the album. I am Norwegian, and unfortunately I chose to learn German over French when choosing third language, so I am unable to read any of the French and Belgian Tintin literature. That is really a shame and not exactly an advantage in the Tintin world. Thank you for your help anyway=) Really appreciate it!
Richard
UK Correspondent
#4 · Posted: 13 Jun 2007 21:07
In a faintly interesting side note, pages 100 and 101 of Land of the Soviets were published in Le Petit Vingtième on 25th December 1929 using a two-tone process (red and blue); this was the first time Tintin appeared in colour.
alerei
#5 · Posted: 13 Jun 2007 22:40
Thanks a lot=) Really interesting to know!
jock123
#6 · Posted: 14 Jun 2007 18:17
I am writing an essay on Land of the Soviets in a historical context, and was just curious, as the front is coloured and so on, unlike the rest of the album.
All the black and white books had coloured cover art, and some had additional colour plates added inside, although none carried the two-tone artwork as in the example in Soviets given by Richard, or seen in the French-language collected Black Island volume (other titles may have had it, I just don't know).
alerei
#7 · Posted: 14 Jun 2007 20:04
Thanks again=)
snowybella
#8 · Posted: 1 Apr 2017 13:12
Richard:
pages 100 and 101 of Land of the Soviets

And the original page 100 is a missing page, where Tintin opens a cupboard on the wall, gets spooked by a skull attached on a spring, and then ends up bashing to the wall, finally ending with a framed picture falling on his nose.
dr01
#9 · Posted: 26 Aug 2022 10:40
If you look at the page for In the land of soviets in the official Tintin site, you see all the cover art is basically the same-some have yellow backgrounds etc. As for the missing page if you can obtain a original English edition(1981) - the missing page 97A is included.

As far as I have read - and each of my editions have no colored plates.

Posted: 12 Dec 2022 01:33
On the official tintin.com site-shows five covers with Tintin and Snowy standing in front of Saint Basil's Cathedral-1930, 1981, 2017 and the recent Egmont edition. Only one edition ( 1969) has a blank grey cover.

Moderator Note: Combined consecutive posts.
dr01
#10 · Posted: 12 Dec 2022 01:42
The recent b&w facsimile editions (2017)- Tintin and Snowy speeding in a car.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!