Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

"Tintin in the New World: A romance": A novel by Frederic Tuten

Page  Page 5 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5 

Mirirocks67
#41 · Posted: 15 Aug 2007 23:33
I have not read it,i was searching for it but it was useless.I know what the plot is about,but someone tell me,please, is it true that besides Tintin many other characters die?Like Snowy and the Captain?Did the book ended where Tintin kills himself,or something else hapeneded after he was dead?Where also the other main characters in this book?(Castafiore,the Thompsons,Nestor,Calculus...etc)
And really how is Clavdia portrayed?How does she looks like?Is she a Lady?A tomboy? Well, basically everything about this woman,when she first appears and the last time she is in the book(or mentioned)
If you could answer me all these questions,thank you very much.Sorry if you find it annoying,but this book isn´t very famous,so I couldn´t find it in book shops and I could only one the basic plot in Internet:
Only that Tintin goes to South America and says goodbye forever to Haddock and Snowy;He is the jaguar prince,posses magic powers and falls in love for the first time¨Nothing else, I find out no more.
tintinspartan
#42 · Posted: 16 Aug 2007 08:06
Mirirocks67, if you visit Singapore Libarys, every single library under the National Libary Board of Singapore have at least 1-3 copies of the book. I was thinking of an pastiche to write for enjoyment and this book appeared. Now Clavdia on the other hand is a sexy, posh woman and Herr Pepperkorn's daughter. I myself had a bad dream of Tintin being seduced by Clavdia. For Snowy, he's just neutral. The part of Tintin saying farewell to all his comrades was one heartbreaking part of the story. Tintin died because Herge died. I think that is how Tuten felt while concluding tis 'sexy' epic. Only Tintin, Snowy and Haddock appeared with cameos of characthers from Thomas Mann, The Magic Mountain. I found myself to have red an excerpt of this book in frot of my own class!! What a dissapointment!
Mirirocks67
#43 · Posted: 16 Aug 2007 11:42
Ah,well thank you very much,tintinspartan,maybe i´m going to search for it one more time.
Ah,and last question,how is the illustration of the book?Is it bad?
Is it possible,for one time,if you could downloaded a pic on this page?Only to see how is the art in this book.
Now I´ve been reading posts threads,I don´t this is a bad book,the bad thing is that Moulinsart has put like a work from Hergé.And the story shoudn´t get involved with Tintin characters.
Borschtisov
#44 · Posted: 16 Aug 2007 16:45
It isn't in comic book form, Mirirocks67. It's in novel format with chapters and everything. And I wouldn't waste my time reading it if I were you.

My library has a copy; but I've never seen any point in reading it. From everything I've heard (reading this complete thread and many others) I came to the conclusion a long time ago that it's not worth it.
Mirirocks67
#45 · Posted: 16 Aug 2007 17:07
Ah well, thank you very much, Borschtisov.
I always knew that it wasn’t Hergé’s work,so it wasn’t canon, I wanted to know what it is, exactly.
Ladybird
#46 · Posted: 10 Jan 2012 06:18
I’ve read about 80 pages of this (which I think is a fair try) and it is without a doubt the most pretentious thing I have ever read!

I approached it wearily knowing that it would involve Tintin “falling in love” and “discovering the dark side of his nature” which I wasn’t wild about. I think the person who most interestingly deconstructed the series was Herge himself. But of course Herge was an artist and Tuten is a hack of the highest order.

His prose isn’t anything special and the dialogue is god awful. It’s unrealistic, uninteresting, and downright unbearable. Haddock just spouts stupid nautical metaphors that make him sound like someone bad actor’s “old seadog” impression. Snowy just makes wisecracks that are neither funny nor insightful. Tintin has no real voice at all and it’s hard not to cringe when he says “adventuring”. His relationship with Clavdia (or Claudia or Clawdia or whatever the hell her name is*) is totally unconvincing. He sees her at the table then they sit together and she spews some (word I can’t say on this forum) that Tuten clearly thinks passes for profundity, and all of a sudden Tintin’s in love. That’s not even mentioning the scene before where Tintin and Haddock sit and listen to a bunch of characters from The Magic Mountain spouting off about life the universe and everything. The whole conversation may as well have had “themes that I wish to discuss in this work” hanging over it in big flashing lights. Tintin’s pointless dream sequence and seduction all smack of a man who is convinced that nasty and cynical is automatically deep and above all is trying way to hard to be clever.

Some have pointed out that “the character isn’t supposed to be Tintin” well if not then why couldn’t this guy write his own character? It’s not that hard to do. When most people combine characters from two other authors it’s called a crossover fanfic , but apparently when a professor does it it’s called literature.

*I say this because her name is spelled Clavdia in the book, Claudia in the review I read, and Clawdia on the Wikipedia entry about The Magic Mountain.
Megustavida
#47 · Posted: 8 Aug 2013 02:53
First of all, Hi! I've been a Tintin fan since I was 3, but never fully joined this site till now!

OK, so this book. I first found out about it when I was 12. I was happy to find that Tintin falls in love in this book. I wanted desperately to read it. Then a few years ago, I read this forum and realized how horrible this book was. I even read a few pages from the Google books sample. Not only did I find that Tintin was being preyed on by a monster of a woman, but the "philosophy" in this book is not philosophy, it's the machinations of a dope. I'm especially angry with Hergé for having given Tuten permission to write it. Ils sont fous!!
rodney
#48 · Posted: 15 Oct 2013 12:46
Balthazar:
no child reader would persevere beyond the first few pages of the book, because it's just too boring and confusing

I love reading and found it just a bit too unusual and very boring being there is no pictures..
Gayboy
#49 · Posted: 15 Oct 2013 21:10
Ok, this is a very old thread but since others are chiming in this necroed thread, I guess I will too...

I haven't read this book, but from what other readers say it doesn't sound that appealing. I remember a story being written I believe with Tintin as Timtim and Snowy as Spewey? I will say though even if there were parts that Tintin was displayed as a homosexual according to some other posters, that alone should not be a negative whether you agree with the lifestyle or not. I know these replies are old near the beginning of the thread, but there are people of class who are straight and gay. I'm not going to elaborate any further.

It talks of depression which I can see protagonists suffer setbacks and do deal with such issues at some point which make them believable characters. I know I have debated about Tintin possibly dying in Alph-Art, but for Tintin to just outright end his own life is laughable at best, the writer could have at least gave Tintin a dignified ending.

In conclusion, I will say everyone has the right to see whichever character in whatever light they like. Art is art no matter who it offends or what the subject matter is whether we like it or not. It's all subjective in the end and we as people who appreciate art can form our own individual opinions about it alone. All of our opinions of course are affected by our own prejudices and personal biases and apparently this book generated a lot of controversy so it succeeded in one regard.
BelgicatheBrave
#50 · Posted: 14 Apr 2017 07:19
I purchased a used copy of this book from Amazon relatively inexpensively. For years I avoided it and then I decided to read it. Admittedly, there were some pockets of beauty in the text (ex., when Captain Haddock expresses lament at never having found a wife or had children, the introduction of the Lieutenant in the cantina and that's about it). But I thought the philosophical ramblings of the characters from The Magic Mountain were horribly pretentious. If you've never read it, I'll spare you the investment and say that it sounds like a group of first year philosophy students engaging in what sound to them like very important debate over their Christmas holiday.

My biggest beef with this lump of ambergris masquerading as literature is that Tuten grossly misunderstands Hergé's characters. Haddock's dialogue was comically horrible and Tintin's dialogue was overly formal and hard to follow.

And then of course there's the love story. I love the premise of having Tintin fall in love, but did Tuten have to have him fall in love with such a vile woman? Our beloved reporter certainly has better taste than that! Not only was she materialistic and manipulative, but she was also excessively boring!

Also did anyone else catch that Tuten said Tintin hadn't physically aged past 12 years old? Yuck--that's not true at all!

Page  Page 5 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!