Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Picaros: Changes made to Tintin's character?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

doubleT
#11 · Posted: 9 Sep 2006 03:19
What is the CND anywhy, and what are flared jeans, arent all jeans the same, except for color and brands.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#12 · Posted: 9 Sep 2006 11:29
doubleT
What is the CND anywhy

The CND is the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, it's one of the largest peace movements in the UK and Europe. Their logo can be seen on Tintin's motorcycle helmet at the beginning of Picaros. More info here.

what are flared jeans, arent all jeans the same, except for color and brands.

Flared jeans are like regular jeans, but they become wider from the knees down - they're also known as bell-bottoms due to the shape of the trouser legs. They're still around but are generally called 'boot cut'.
sliat_1981
#13 · Posted: 31 Aug 2007 07:52
I actually liked him losing his plus-fours. I know I'm gonna get executed for this, but it was the 70's and plus-fours were long out of fashion. Tintin's clothes had long changed.
I saw nothing wrong with Hergé updating his clothes to be more realistic.
Tintinrulz
#14 · Posted: 31 Aug 2007 10:20
Only Tintin was basically timeless and the clothes update (amongst other things) didn't gel so well.
mct16
#15 · Posted: 31 Aug 2007 23:36
Back to Tintin's personality. It's an interesting development in that it is Haddock and not Tintin who resolves to leave the safety of Marlinspike to confront Tapioca and his accusations face-to-face. It also makes him the centre of the first half of the story.

Tintin's reluctance to leave is an interesting one. This shows him as more of a world-weary sort of character. His attitude is one of expediency when he conspires in a (albeit bloodless) coup in order to save his friends.

I think that Herge was showing a side of Tintin who was tired of adventuring but found himself with little choice, the same as poor Herge may have been tired of doing the series but was constantly pressured to come up with new stories. (He suffered a breakdown at about the time of the Moon adventures.)

My only objection is that Tintin arrives in San Theodoros with no real idea as to what to do. He had no idea he would meet Pablo who would "help" him join Alcazar. More to the point would have been to, say, go to Nuevo-Rico, discretely cross the border into San Theodoros (the complete reverse of the Broken Ear fiasco) and then contact Alcazar and find a way to sort things out. Instead of which he goes head first into the very trap he warned Haddock of and only avoids it thanks to a monkey!
SakuraT5
#16 · Posted: 5 Sep 2007 08:28
I really like Tintin's change in 'Tintin and the Picaros'because he looks like a [Expletive Deleted]hot dude compared to the earlier books where he would look like a good and obedient school boy. Infact in that story, he was looking like a bad boy with serious attitude which was so COOL!!!Even in physical and mental terms, he was looking much more matured than the rest of the series.As to the question of jeans, I think he looks more cooler in jeans than in plus fours
because I think he looks kind of goofy and dorky in plus fours(although a lot of people would'nt agree with me).I think Tintin 's character was much more interesting, less naive, less bland and more complete compared to the rest of the series.

Moderator Warning: This is your second warning for use of inappropriate language; a third could see you pre-moderated, or banned. Please do not re-offend - we try to keep these forums available to people of all ages and back-grounds, and your cooperation in this matter is appreciated.
The Tintinolgist Team
dreamdust
#17 · Posted: 1 Apr 2009 00:07
I tend to think that Tintin's personality changes throughout the series, rather than undergoing a sudden switch in Picaros. In the earlier books he is more excitable, headstrong, bouyant and sarcastic. From perhaps Land of Black Gold he is more polite, cheerful, and calculating than before. And it is in Flight 714 where his personality begins to change again, but it is perhaps only in Picaros when this change fully manifests itself, being more cynical, cool-headed and suspicious. (In the Ellipse-Nelvana episode, however, this personality change does not seem to occur).

Also, Tintin barely interacts with Snowy in Picaros! This is very odd, considering that he often patted/comforted/praised Snowy in previous volumes. In fact, I could find only two instances in which Tintin acknowledges his dog - when he chastises Snowy for drinking whisky, and when he makes him eat the Picaros' lunch to assure them it is not poisonous! Not to mention the fact that he doesn't seem to bat an eye when Snowy is zapped by an electric eel! He only pats one animal in the entire book, and that's the Marlinspike cat on the first page! (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this point).

I understand that Herge was undergoing a very difficult time in his life while writing Picaros, but rereading this volume makes me feel painfully nostalgic of the old Tintin.

Perhaps, in the underlying subtext of the novel, Tintin was going through a difficult period himself...?

Needless to say, he is still very much himself in all the important aspects - in his shrewdness, courage, self-sacrifice, request for a peaceful revolution, and concern for friends...perhaps I shouldn't even be complaining, he's clearly ten-fold the person I for one will ever be! :P
NikkiRoux
#18 · Posted: 1 Apr 2009 10:06
dreamdust:
Tintin barely interacts with Snowy in Picaros!

I don't think this is too surprising. I have a dog who I love very much, but sometimes I realise that I hardly take notice of him. That was especially when I had to do so many things which I'd put off, so it's my fault. But come to think of it, it's strange that Tintin didn't do anything when Snowy got zapped by the eel. If I were him, I would have at least jumped at that.
waruna
#19 · Posted: 3 May 2009 10:32
I also like to these changes. the story has deep quality.
Revercub24
#20 · Posted: 3 May 2009 14:50
I liked Tintin's yoga, I liked the bike and I found the jeans interesting - but they make me wince, because how hot must he be, running around in those?

I wasn't sure about Tintin's initial refusal to join Calculus and Haddock; I mean, several of their friends are in danger and he refuses to go in to help them. But maybe then, he's starting to learn where adventuring can get him, although he's still pretty naive, because he's betrayed in this adventure by Pablo.

But I don't know... these slight changes to Tintin's character, coming out of that everyman thing... it seems to be a fitting end to the series. :)

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!